Russian Adolescent Tort needs new home!

milesneedsahome

I'm usually just happy being a lurker trying to understand how to care for these beautiful little critters but with the last diagnostic (which ran up an expensive bill for a college student)- I gotta admit defeat after unsuccessfully trying MONTHS to help aid this little one with her worms.

Miles came into my life in odd circumstance. A friend of mine bought her from a pet store thinking she'd make the perfect gift (I was so stoked..) - I took her to the only reptile vet in town and was both equally surprised and saddened by what he had to say. She's a healthy tort, for the condition she'd been living in before me but like most pets bought from stores; she was riddled with worms.

I have her in a pretty solid indoor enclosure. 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub, coconut coir substrate, a place to hide, few little leafy decorations and lightbulbs to meet her needs. She's fed lettuce and carrots and I really do try to get her to like kale! My guess is her appetite is sometimes compromised by her condition :/

The vet pretty much patted me on the back, gave me a mini bottle of medicine and wished me luck.

I seriously don't know if it's helped her condition or if she's gotten any better and I really wish I could afford more frequent vet visits.

I'm looking for an experienced RT handler to adopt her for free. I just really want someone that will know how to give this little one what she needs.

milesneedsahome

Additional info: I'm located in Miami, FL. Will ship anywhere. Can't figure out how to attach pictures of Miles by will send if asked through email.

Tortshort

I have also had to deworm several tortoises. A good way to get dewormer in them is to put it some food a little at a time. It should work.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
It took three rounds of medicine before my Russian tortoise was finally warm free. I cannot remember the type of medication it was but it's basically the same thing they use for horses. I just spread it on a Romain lettuce leaf rolled it up like a burrito in my tortoise ate it right down.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sorry I hit the reply button a little quick :) would your vet take payments? You have already spent most of the expenses by now just getting the set up correct. Once the worms are gone it's easy after that unless some unforeseen issue comes up. Maybe there's a way you can keep him.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So sorry to hear of your predicament. I wish I could take him for you. I'm sure someone will, soon, though.

In the meantime, I would recommend that you do not feed him carrots, anymore. They have too much sugar, which RTs don't process well.

Have you tried feeding any other greens, other than lettuce and kale? See if you can find plantain weed (it's a natural antiseptic used in treatment of intestinal parasites in humans), dandelion, red clover, coneflower, pansies (whole plant). Florida has an abundance of hibiscus. He can have flowers and leaves.

Good luck and I hope you him a good home.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Guys.. this was posted back in December, so I don't think they are needing help any longer.