Runny Stool

Smiller515

Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, New York
Just checking, after reading a few posts on the forum I think it is normal, but my baby Hermann's Tortoise has a very runny stool today. I just got him a week ago so he could just be adjusting to a new diet, but I wanted to ask.

I have been feeding him a mixture of dandelion greens and endive salad with a sprinkle of zoomed calcium with D3 (only added 3 times when fed this week). I also added a chopped up shredded carrot piece yesterday. I am planning to add kale to the mixture next week, but is it normal to have such a runny stool with a high fiber diet?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the stool should be firm. Diet or health is usually the cause.

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
the stool should be firm. Diet or health is usually the cause.

Is there something wrong with the diet I described above? As for health he is eating regularly, very active, and sleeps in his humid hide at night. Temps and humidity levels are all monitored and appropriate.

As I mentioned I have only had him a week and got him from a reliable reptile keeper from Syracuse. Is there any chance it could just be that he is eating a slightly different diet with me?

Smiller515

Buffalo, New York
I don't want to get too ahead of myself as it has only been today. Maybe the carrots? I have an awesome hero vet I can consult if it continues to be an issue, but I wanted to get some opinions before I contact her.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your Hermann's should be on a diet of leafy greens. Ideally picked outdoors from a pesticide and chemical free area in preference to store bought.

Your tort can't digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally. Banana is too sugary and must not be fed.

Some veggies are low in fiber and can cause runny poop, eg cucumber and prickly pear

Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles