Runny noses

Melly2323

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota FL
I have two baby sulcata tortoises. They seem to be healthy and thriving, however I notice every morning they have runny noses. Not sure if it’s because the temp is lower overnight? Poop and pee is normal…they are eating well. Just wondering if this is normal or if I should be concerned? Temp during the day is around 85 with 70-80% humidity. I live in Florida and have been trying to keep them outside during the day. At night, the temp in their enclosure is around 75 with 65% humidity. Not sure how to up the humidity…I bought some moss and keep it moist but can’t seem to get it higher. Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated thanks!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Temps should never be below 80 so get them up ASAP.
Also the day temp is fine, but what is the basking temp? That needs to be 95-100.

Melly2323

Sarasota FL
Yes basking temp is always in that range. I will get a heat lamp for night time. What’s the recommended wattage? Thanks for your reply!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes basking temp is always in that range. I will get a heat lamp for night time. What’s the recommended wattage? Thanks for your reply!
A few things:
1. They should never live in pairs. They need to be separated immediately, or add more to make a small group. Groups of juveniles are fine. Not pairs.
2. Your humidity is too low all around. It needs to be above 80% all the time everywhere to prevent pyramiding.
3. Outdoors all day is bad for babies. Even in your climate. Even in Africa where they are from. They need a large indoor closed chamber with warm controlled temps and high humidity. I've done multiple side-by-side experiments with groups of clutch mates over several years to discover/develop/prove this fact.
4. Moss will be eaten and it can cause impaction. Remove that ASAP.
5. Only your thermometer can tell you what wattage is needed, but use a thermostat to control it.

I realize this is a lot, and likely upsetting, but the world is full of bad tortoise care info. Take a minute and read through this for more explanation. Look for the heating and lighting breakdown at the bottom and the sulcata care sheet:

Melly2323

Sarasota FL
Thanks for the advice and for the link. I’m not sure how to increase humidity to that level in the inside enclosure. I figured the moss (which was recommended to increase humidity via literature that I read- and out of reachable access to the tortoises) would help to get the humidity levels up. When I bring them outside, they are in an enclosure on my lanai. The humidity outdoors is optimal, especially in this climate, so I figured I was doing a good thing. Typically it’s a few hours to soak, feed and get some sun. I did not know when purchasing them that they weren’t supposed to live in pairs, the breeder never informed me of this. This is upsetting, although they seem fine. I haven’t witnessed any aggression similar to what you’ve described, but I guess I’ll have to figure something else out. Ugh.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the advice and for the link. I’m not sure how to increase humidity to that level in the inside enclosure. I figured the moss (which was recommended to increase humidity via literature that I read- and out of reachable access to the tortoises) would help to get the humidity levels up. When I bring them outside, they are in an enclosure on my lanai. The humidity outdoors is optimal, especially in this climate, so I figured I was doing a good thing. Typically it’s a few hours to soak, feed and get some sun. I did not know when purchasing them that they weren’t supposed to live in pairs, the breeder never informed me of this. This is upsetting, although they seem fine. I haven’t witnessed any aggression similar to what you’ve described, but I guess I’ll have to figure something else out. Ugh.
A lot of the signs of living as a pair can't be seen as easily as most beginners think. Just being in a pair situation in a small enclosure is stress. By the time you see the affect, it may be too late.trust the knowledge of the experienced keepers that have seen it all
Post a picture of your enclosures and we can help you figure out where tweaking is needed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m not sure how to increase humidity to that level in the inside enclosure.
Its really easy if you are using a closed chamber. If you are not using a closed chamber, you should be.