RT restless. Not sure what to do :(

So my russian tortoise started getting restless right after few month I brought him home from a PETS store.

Initially he was in small 40 gallon tank, later I figured out that I was fooled into buying this for 10+year tortoise. I decided to make him an enclosure myself, so now he lives in a 6x5 indoor enclosure, two heater spots, live trees, humidity about 40-60%, temprature always around 85-92 right under the lamps, and nice hideouts too.

But after a month enjoying his enclosure, he is again super restless.keep scratching all walls.

He even have 2nd floor, he goes up to that floor and scratches walls for hours.

Now, he hardly drink any water. And diet is less too.

Not sure what's going on ;( where am I lacking.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sounds like a typical Russian.. what are you feeding him?
they escape a lot.. always on the go.. even if active, he should have a good appetite..

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I like to soak my Russians about twice a week to keep them hydrated.

What is your substrate?

Do you have anything in the enclosure to make it more interesting for the tort?

My males have been roaming the walls more the last few weeks with the warmer weather.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like all is good. Can you show us some pics of the enclosure. We might have some suggestions after we've sen it.

Males can get pretty restless this time of year. They feel like they NEED to go find a female and breed. Sometimes a large outdoor enclosure to explore makes them feel a little better.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cover that see through area....I would also put a perimeter cap around the entire top of the enclosure...even if you temporarily use heavy duty foil to create a over hang "into" the enclosure so the tort can not cruise the sides of the enclosure peering up....

I would also be planning an outdoor secure escape proof enclosure.....this species is most favorable in an outdoor enclosure for as much of the year as your weather will permit.....actually, most species of tortoise benefit moreso from outdoors than indoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm guessing he's just anxious to get outside and find a girlfriend. Any chance you can make him an outdoor habitat?

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I use coconut fibers, which are digestible and hold moisture nice. Sounds like my little guy!
I'm guessing he's just anxious to get outside and find a girlfriend. Any chance you can make him an outdoor habitat?

1028762jld543t69m.gif
Maybe you should try taking him out for walks, even if just around the house, (if you're comfortable with that) because they have a lot of energy and constantly want to move somewhere new.