rounder vs more elongated oval shape ?

dar64

5 Year Member
Do the different shapes in Leo's mean anything ? I have one that is roundish and 2 more oval shape.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most of mine have been of the round variety, but several years ago I took in two males that were very oblong in shape. I assumed it was a male/female thing. But I don't know that for sure.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I've heard some people say Babcocki are round and PP are oval, but I'm not sure there is anything to that. I have a Babcocki that is very round, but she was that way when I got her as a baby. My other Babcocki's are more oval. I imagine it has a lot more to do with the parent characteristics than anything else.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Neal's thread on the difference between GPP and GPB stated that GPP are more hot dog and GPB are more hamburger, shape wise. Greg, and dar64, the Babcocki's that you have that are oval, they may be mixies and the GPP genetics is showing up in the shape, perhaps?

Here is that thread, interesting read. : )
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-27409.html#axzz1YdKNa6qi

dar64

5 Year Member
Thats what I was thinking Beebee. Maybe a combo and the shape just showed up as part of the mixed genetics if they are mixed.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Totally dar64, I agree. The cool thing is that the mixies are all neat and always quite surprising as they grow ... very tooti fruiti and the shells really kaleidoscope in so many different ways. If you see pics of the wild ones in Africa, same thing, so many patterns.
I like to quote dear, sweet Forrest Gump and his mamma ... "like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Totally dar64, I agree. The cool thing is that the mixies are all neat and always quite surprising as they grow ... very tooti fruiti and the shells really kaleidoscope in so many different ways. If you see pics of the wild ones in Africa, same thing, so many patterns.
I like to quote dear, sweet Forrest Gump and his mamma ... "like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

100% agree. that is why raising Tortoise are so fun.

dar64

5 Year Member
Yes they are so unique ! All so different and beautiful kaleidoscope patterns.