Roly Polys, Pillbugs

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
I've been thinking of adding roly polys/ pillbugs to my Russian tortoise table. It's a wooden tort table. Do you think they would climb out or stay in? Anyone have any experience with these?

Eddie

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Don't do it, russian might eat them and animal protein is not in it's diet, plus they would escape.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally add them to the indoor enclosures here...along with some worms.....the tortoise here are redfoot, so no problem....I would wonder if the russian torts would even be interested? And if so, I would think that the limited bite size nuggets would not cause harm....and if the torts do not eat them then you will gain the benefit of them critters helping to create a healthy soil.....just my two cents....plus, if they get out, just scoop em up and plop em back in??? Right.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have them in with my Leo's. They've never shown interest in eating them.

I don't worry about them escaping, they have food and water and mates so they seem to try.

Elohi(Earth)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I put about 25 in with my Leos and Sulcatas and have seen two or three dead ones in the carpet so yeah, they will escape, but they die pretty quick and get caught in the vacuume. The good they do out weighs the bad. I don't think your Russian will eat them and if he does, no big deal. There is nothing in a rollie-pollie that is harmful to them.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Forgot to mention, my Leo and Sulcata's are housed in wood, not plastic habitats.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
And they multiply with the quickness. I am overrun with them lol.

Elohi(Earth)

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I had them in my inside Russian enclosure all winter with no issues. The torts never even noticed them.