Roger's new home

Chass

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I finally got our little Roger's home all fixed up:) I am using cypress mulch as substrate, I have a pansy plant & thermometer (tells humidity & the temp), wooden humid hide that I soaked in water & a little water dish...when he gets a little bigger I'll put the terra cotta dish in there w/ his water, I just felt is was too big for him right now. I have the UV lamp & an incandescent light...I also have a red spot light on the other side of the hide. I have a floor heater on the side of his pen...it's on the same side as his humid hide b/c I do not have a che heater yet so I'm using it for the warmth right now...boy it is hot when you walk in his room but he loves to lay next to the box where the floor heater is. Here are a couple of pictures I added of his new enclosure...I am going to add a piece of plexi-glass on the top .

Roger.jpg Roger2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chass, I think you have posted this looking for compliments and approval, but I see some issues. Do you want constructive criticism, or should I mind my own business?

Chass

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Oh no I just posted it knowing that I need some help & ideas so I am always open to constructive criticism.

Chass

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for his new home? Thanks:)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm going to jump in real quick and say size...looks to be quite a bit too small. What are the dimensions? What kind of wood is it made out of and is it treated with anything to prevent rot/mold from high humidity? What are you using for night heat, just the mat? Do you have any other thermometers in the enclosure to measure temps at carapace height? It is actually a really cute enclosure though!

Chass

5 Year Member
Louisiana
It's about 3feet long 2feet wide...I know it's a little on the smaller side but my husband (he's in construction) will make another 1 real fast when he get a little bigger. I just figured since he's so small we would start off w/ a not real big enclosure. The wood will not rot but like I said if we see it's getting mold or rot we will make another 1. As of right now I have a floor heater on the side of his enclosure w/ his humid hide on the same side as the heater & that's where he like to go & rest b/c it is next to the heater. I am ordering a che heater for him next week. I have the double thermometer on the side w/ his hide & I have a small thermometer on the other side...I am hoping that when I put the plexi-glass cover on top it will help more w/ humidity. I can't get the humidity to 75%...I do soak him every day for about 20-30min.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Don't know why no one has responded since Monday...

I think if you measure your enclosure it is more like 16" x 24". based upon what looks like an 8" pot in there. That is quite small.

The question of treated wood is not to ensure it will not rot, but that treated wood could harm your tortoise.

A cover will help greatly to keep humidity up.

I've been keeping and hatching Sulcatas for over 30 years now, and cannot believe how much I've learned and benefited from this forum the past few years - reading the threads. Please read the threads pinned to the top of the section on Sulcatas. A great on there about enclosures. (Thank you Tom!!)

Chass

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I guess everybody is just too busy w/ Christmas & all...I appreciate the info thanks:} I removed the flower pot and switched the hollowed out humid hide to the side where the flower pot was & it gives him so much more room for now & we'll put him in a bigger enclosure later. He does get lots of exercise when I put him outside in his large outdoor enclosure. I started covering the top of his inside enclosure & the humidity has gotten better. Thanks again for your help:}

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
I agree that your enclosure is too small. I personally think 3 X 6 is the minimum even for babies because they need to be able to roam and explore - that's what's healthiest for the little guy :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It's good that he can get outside. Is he able to be out there almost every day? Night heat is important and covering it definitely makes a difference as you have found. Bigger is always better, and your tortoise will grow fast. It is good that you are making plans for a bigger enclosure.
It has been pretty quiet lately, probably because of the holidays. Check out the species specific section for Tom's care sheet. There's a lot of great information there. Heat, diet, and humidity are the most important things for now. From personal experience I recommend that you build a large enclosure now, even if you section part of it off for him it will be cheaper in the long run than building one every six months or a year. Keep asking questions. He is a cute little tortoise.