Rodent lice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Just wondering if rodent lice/mites are transmissible to torts... 2 of my gerbils died earlier today and the cause of it was anemia from red rodent lice. They were acting 100% normal up until this morning when I found them on death's doorstep and I even checked them a week ago for any skin parasites. Then they just seized and died :(

Just wondering, since the gerbil tank of infested gerbils is only about 2 feet from Rosie's tortoise tub...

I know some say "lice are nice" because they're species specific, but a lot of rodent infestations come from birds and just wanted to check... I feel slightly better knowing the lice can't live off me. But still.. *blech* lice/mites/fleas/ticks make my skin crawl...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry about your loss. I can't answer your question. I can only guess, and would guess they would be a problem for your tort. However, giving a bump to see if anyone knows for sure.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Are you sure the are lice? I have had mites on rodents before. Lice are possible too just not as common. Lice are longer than mites; almost like a termite. I had a pair of Egyptian tomb bats come in with lice once. Pyrethrum shampoo and a flea collar fixed that problem. Round ecto-parasites are usually mites. Very difficult to eradicate safely from a chelonian. The most common anti mite injectable from a vet is ivermectin. This medicine is toxic to chelonians. Soaking can help control mites. There are many home remedies for mites. Some Plant oils and insecticidal soaps may work. I hope you get rid of them soon.

Jessamy

5 Year Member
If your tort does get mites olive oil applied on mites(avoid head, nose,eyes and mouth) worked.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I haven't seen any on her but according to some on the gerbil forum, they say it's a warm blooded mite and shouldn't go after cold blooded animals. They don't even like humans, dogs, or cats too much. I haven't touched anything near Rosie since discovering the mites and washed myself down in head and shoulders with hot water. I sprinkled pyrethin powder all around her pen on the carpet and vacuumed the room as well as took out everything belonging to the gerbils. The gerbils that are alive are now in tubs in the spare bathroom and their stuff is out in the back yard for bleach soaking. The local gerbil breeder I know is also dealing with this. Too bad the person who gave us both these infested gerbils (who have now all passed on) doesn't care and is just off infecting other people's homes...

I'll also be preventatively treating my rabbits with anti parasitics as well. Such a hassle...

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Sounds like you have a good handle on it. I have gotten mites on my snakes and lizards from rodents. Mostly mice and rats. I have seen gerbils with mange mites as well.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
The rodent breeder (not the one who I got the mites from) says they are rat blood mites. Both gerbils made it through the night and will be continuing with treating the furred critters that were in the room.

Has anyone used a spray called reptile relief safely? Just curious about it, since most of the mite sprays I'm recommended to use for the gerbils are actually made for reptiles or birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.