Robot Tortoise?

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I've had this idea for a while, but never decided to jump for it....still haven't. Part of me worries that it will be tossed aside and never used, although that might be doubtful.

The Idea-
To have a "rover" of sorts that can be controlled 100% via the internet to check in on the tortoise pen. I am away quite often, so I often miss when eggs are laid. I also think it would be interesting to be able to observe them in a more elusive way, even inside their own burrows.

My enclosure is of a decent size, so I think it would be applicable in my situation- http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-enclosure-update.126407/

When I say "controlled 100%" I mean 100%! From turning on the robot/rover/contraption, to driving it back to the charger. I've seen all of these technologies in operation separate, but never in one project (in a civilian capacity). The good thing is, I have an indoor shed for the redfoots which opens out to the pen by a "tortoise door". This means I can have it indoors, out of the weather and still have access to the pen with out any extra construction.

I'm not a tech-person, so I was wondering if anyone on the forum had experience to point me in the right direction.
Thoughts?

thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Quite a few folks on here have video cameras trained on the tortoise yard that they access through their phone.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
and what would you do when the robot tortoises rise up and try to take over Humanity? Because you know it'll happen

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Quite a few folks on here have video cameras trained on the tortoise yard that they access through their phone.

I haven't seen that yet, but I'm not surprised. I've thought about putting in some cameras at strategic positions, but a rover would allow me more freedom and sounds more fun.

and what would you do when the robot tortoises rise up and try to take over Humanity? Because you know it'll happen
Well its simple. I would join their side, and be the human ambassador to the slaves they decide to keep after they win the war. Gotta join the winning side.