Roaming tortoise?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I was on the time a member posted on the forum wanting to know if her tortoise was dying at that exact moment. The tortoise had his head squished between a doorjamb. Members had to talk her through testing to see whether it was dead or alive. It was sadly losing brain activity while she was typing. When you love an animal, that kind of stuff sticks with you and I couldn't help but imagine what if I were in the poster's place.

That being said, we HAVE ALWAYS taken our tortoise out of her enclosure to interact with her. There are safer ways that minimize risk. We have kept a kiddie pool for this exact reason. Even under these circumstances, I give constant supervision because I have a house full of animals. The cats were really interested in our tortoise when she was small.
View attachment 153986
(photo taken in 2014)
I used a kiddie pool for Charlie when he was smaller too. We didn't have a fenced yard at the time so it gave him some sun exposure while keeping him contained.

I never considered letting him roam around inside the house. Besides the mess, it would be too easy to forget he was there and step on him.

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
This really is very situational. Knowing that they ...
- will eat stuff dangerous for them , paper clips, small toys, crayons etc
- the temperature on the floor is the coolest part of the house.
- easy to forget they are there and step on them.

That said, I do bring mine onto my lanai for treats and a " walkabout " many days. In Florida , my lanai is a large screened in outside area with paving stones. Full of plants, outdoor furniture, all kinds of stuff.

I watch them carefully , and understand the risks. And yes they poop & pee , so I clean it up with a hose.

Risk assessment can be done once you understand the factors and adjust for them. With our tortoises it is not 'one size fits all'.

I knew a gal in Alaska that worked out of a home office. Her 20 lb Sulcata spent much of the day with her on the floor of that office. She had a corner set up with a hide, heat lamp, and a large rubber floor mat where he hung out while she worked. Would I recommend it? No. But it seemed to work for her and her tort.