Really weird tortoise behavior

T

Trudy_the_tortoise

Ok, I have a really large carpet that my tortoise is allowed to roam free on (with supervision). Today when I placed my tortoise on the carpet, it came to me, and it hid right under my right leg. I moved a bit and I saw it clawing at the carpet like it wanted to burrow there. After a few attempts it gave up. It still, kept on following me sniffing me, and hiding under my leg. It was still trying to burrow under the carpet for a while, until it completely gave up. Tolis walked to the edge of the carpet, then it looked over it's shoulder at me, and it kept on staring at me. For some reason, it never does this when it's in it's enclosure but it keeps trying to burrow and it keeps following me when I put it on the carpet.

Why is it trying to burrow? Why is it obsessed with hiding under my clothing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Normal behaviour. They like to dig down into the "ground" and that way they feel safe and secure.

T

Trudy_the_tortoise

Normal behaviour. They like to dig down into the "ground" and that way they feel safe and secure.

:D It's just the first time I saw it trying to dig into a carpet. Yeah. Once it dug into a plastic bag. Dangerous! I got it out luckily, an threw the bag out. My tort seems to be very shy. Tolis (my tortoise) gets embarrassed when I walk in when he/she is eating vegetables. and it likes to be pet but it gets scared when it is carried. (tortoises are not for touching!)