Road rescue, species?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Just rescued this guy/gal. I found it crossing a 6 lane rd. Funny thing is there is no body of water anywhere near where I found it. I'm not sure what species. If it's native to GA I will take it to a nearby lake to release.

20180609_083655.jpg 20180609_083712.jpg 20180609_083721.jpg 20180609_083727.jpg 20180609_083734.jpg

wccmog10

Georgia
Just rescued this guy/gal. I found it crossing a 6 lane rd. Funny thing is there is no body of water anywhere near where I found it. I'm not sure what species. If it's native to GA I will take it to a nearby lake to release.
For my first post on the forum- I will tell you that this is a yellow bellied slider. They are native to GA. It is an older individual, based on how melanistic he is, and it is a male. Males have those long nails on their front legs that you see in your second photo. Good job saving him. Six lanes is a lot to get accross. I would just return him to the closest body of water to where you found him.

-Wade

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks, and welcome to the forum. That's what I thought but he was a lot darker than I usually see. I just released him into a lake at a nearby park.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This little fella was quite aways away from any body of water. It's kind of baffling to me. I kind of wondered how long he's been walking. I brought him home and threw him in one of my stock tanks for a little and it was pretty apparent he's a wild turtle. He did not appreciate it!