Roach in the winter house

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
Ok Ruby is in his winter house mostly full time now. I had an alert tonight that the temp was low so I run out to turn the heater on. Opened the lid and there was a giant roach! The palmetto bug/wood roach kind what do I do?? I don’t want them to multiply. I don’t want them to get in my house! Is it a problem for the tortoise or just me?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Boric acid, diatomaceous earth, to name a couple.

Reactions: JLM

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Blech! Thank you! He’s not really ever chased anything that I’ve seen but it’s good to know that it’s not “bad” other than for me! Yuck!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Roaches will not harm your tortoise or you. I find roach motels to be the most effective way to control them. I have roaches in all my tortoise night boxes. They clean up the area and provide a food source for the insectivores that also eat the herbivorous bugs that eat my tortoise food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Roaches will not harm your tortoise or you. I find roach motels to be the most effective way to control them. I have roaches in all my tortoise night boxes. They clean up the area and provide a food source for the insectivores that also eat the herbivorous bugs that eat my tortoise food.
Sounds like a plan