RF respiratory infection

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal
so my 9 months old RF was diagnosed to have RI, right now he's on medicine called chlorpalm 250, i wonder if i should keep the humidity high or low for him when he's having RI

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure temps stay warm and the humidity should be okay. High humidity and cool temps is bad

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
so my 9 months old RF was diagnosed to have RI, right now he's on medicine called chlorpalm 250, i wonder if i should keep the humidity high or low for him when he's having RI
Somewhere on here is a good thread on RI that tortadise put together. It was pinned to the health section, but its gone. :(
I remember it saying keep temps about 10% higher than normal. Normal for reds is 80 to 88f. Some say 82f is ideal. So if your tort has RI about 90f is a safe bet.
I also read on another thread that mentioned to lower humidity to 60% ish whilst full recovery is achieved. Not sure about this but hoping someone else can jump in who knows.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
Somewhere on here is a good thread on RI that tortadise put together. It was pinned to the health section, but its gone. :(
I remember it saying keep temps about 10% higher than normal. Normal for reds is 80 to 88f. Some say 82f is ideal. So if your tort has RI about 90f is a safe bet.
I also read on another thread that mentioned to lower humidity to 60% ish whilst full recovery is achieved. Not sure about this but hoping someone else can jump in who knows.
for some reason, my sulcata seems got RI as well, when i hold him near my ear, i can hear some popping sound, and occasionally the breathing sound is like the nostril is congested. FML :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
for some reason, my sulcata seems got RI as well, when i hold him near my ear, i can hear some popping sound, and occasionally the breathing sound is like the nostril is congested. FML :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

You're not keeping them together, right? It sounds like both may have gotten too cold recently. What are their daytime lows and nighttime temperatures?

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
You're not keeping them together, right? It sounds like both may have gotten too cold recently. What are their daytime lows and nighttime temperatures?
they have never met each other in life lol. for Redfoot, the night temp is between 80 to 84, and daytime is way higher than this. it goes to 90. For sulcata, the night temp is between 82 to 92, where he likes to sleep is around 89-90. day time temp goes up to 109 for the hottest spot

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
they have never met each other in life lol. for Redfoot, the night temp is between 80 to 84, and daytime is way higher than this. it goes to 90. For sulcata, the night temp is between 82 to 92, where he likes to sleep is around 89-90. day time temp goes up to 109 for the hottest spot
@Tom is your the sulcata man. He will see this thread now. Not sure about your high temp. 109 is very hot. Is your sully a juvenile too?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What are you using to measure temperatures? What night time heat sources are you using?

Is 90F your daytime low for the red foot or the high? That's quite warm for that species.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
What are you using to measure temperatures? What night time heat sources are you using?

Is 90F your daytime low for the red foot or the high? That's quite warm for that species.
CHE is the source for night time, and 90F is the daytime high for RF, but it's the hottest spot

Georgethetort

Hi! I'm new to owning tortoises, I just got my red footed tort in July. He is only about 3 months old. He eats well and is fairly active. Today I noticed that he exhaled and a frothy cluster of bubbles came out of his nose. Could this be an infection or just him clearing out his nose?

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
Hi! I'm new to owning tortoises, I just got my red footed tort in July. He is only about 3 months old. He eats well and is fairly active. Today I noticed that he exhaled and a frothy cluster of bubbles came out of his nose. Could this be an infection or just him clearing out his nose?
if this just appeared once and you don't see him doing this later on, that shouldn't be a problem. However, if he keeps doing that and if you notice there is a change for his breathing sound, then most likely it's an upper respiratory infection

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
Respiratory infections are a tough one. My stars showed signs of a respiratory infection but were actually filled with worms. Symptoms of a worm infection can often be very similar to an RI. Once the worms were taken care of there has been no symptoms.

RecklessCyanide

5 Year Member
Montreal
Respiratory infections are a tough one. My stars showed signs of a respiratory infection but were actually filled with worms. Symptoms of a worm infection can often be very similar to an RI. Once the worms were taken care of there has been no symptoms.
did you find it out by doing a fecal exam?

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
Yes. Took it to a good reptile vet in Arkansas. They were able to catch some nose mucous on a slide and said it was clean. Then they tested the feces and said it was full of worms. After three doses of Panacur it has been great.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This might be an issue with dehydration or an U.R.I.
Best to post this in "tortoise health" and get replies there.