RF Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisgn

5 Year Member
I just snapped these pics today of the two RFs at my local pet store, they are store pets, not for sale. Anyway, I was noticing the growth on the larger one - they are supposedly a male/female pair, are males larger in RFs? - is oddly off center. Has anyone seen this before? Is it "normal"?

082400_155001.jpg

082400_155000.jpg

HarleyK

5 Year Member
the placement of the scutes is definitely off....i have read from a book that males tend to be larger than females for redfoots. which petshop is this?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
That's interesting. I've always seen the classic "split scutes". I bet it's just a shell deformity from birth due to genetics, or bad incubation temps.

-Matt

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I have seen this with wild caught imports most, that were old enough to have their shells worn smooth (no growth rings visible)before being imported .
It seems that sometimes when they are introduced to a new environment with abundant food, they can have an ODD growth spurt. Its a shame & strange looking but in most instances, not harmful.
This can also happen to LTC or CB animals that have been "Stunted" due to poor husbandry.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info, very interesting.

Harley: The store is Preuss Pets in Lansing (not a chain).

Status
Not open for further replies.