Reverse/inverse Pyramiding Help

NotBunky

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, TX
Introduction

My tortoise (cherry head) is showing raised lines in between her scutes. When I first got her about a year ago, she had early signs of pyramiding, which I have tried very hard to correct and continue with smooth, flat growth. However, with a recent growth spurt, the lines between her scutes have become raised. At first, I thought it was simply healing growth, but now I am beginning to worry about it.

Husbandry & Care

She currently has an indoor enclosure that I made out of wood with a plexiglass cover to hold in humidity. There is a UVA bulb, UVB light bar, and a CHE bulb. The UVA/UVB bulbs run on a timer to match the daylight cycle, while the CHE bulb stays on 24/7. I have both an automatic mister that runs a few times per day and a mister bottle that I use when necessary. There is also a fogger that runs over intervals via timer throughout the day and night. She eats daily, with a variety of foods to match her diet and Ca/P ratio (turnip greens, dandelion greens, romaine, plums, strawberries, cantaloupe, mango, dandelion flowers, Mazuri tropical tortoise pellets, etc.), mostly taken from redfootbreeder.com. There are cuddlefish bones in her enclosure for her to nibble on as well. In summary, humidity stays around 60%-90% and heat is a constant 75-85 degrees. Water is changed out daily with either spring water or distilled.

Additional Info

While I am planning to upgrade her enclosure size this coming week, it has been an adequate size until about now. I have taken her outside in my backyard for 30-60 minutes per day on almost every day with acceptable temperatures.

Pictures

"Before Picture (1)": This is a picture a couple of months into owning her, less than a year ago.
Current Picture (1): This is a picture taken today, with lighting to highlight what I am talking about.
Current Picture (2): This is also a picture taken today, with same lighting but different angle.
Current Picture (3): This is a picture taken less than a week ago, where the scute line doesn't look as pronounced.

All of the current pictures were taken while it was dry outside and we had been out there for 30+ minutes, hence why she looks more dry than the before picture.

Questions

Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what do I need to do to correct this? What could the cause be? Why does it seem to be more apparent today than 5 days ago?

Attachments

• Before Picture (1).jpg
    Before Picture (1).jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Current Picture (1).jpg
    Current Picture (1).jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Current Picture (2).jpg
    Current Picture (2).jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Current Picture (3).jpg
    Current Picture (3).jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
the latest new growth is raised, which means pyramiding. The sunken part is growth just previous to this latest growth.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see previous pyramiding and rapid growth. But also I see a Redfoot that looks dry.
Can you photograph those lights of yours? I'm suspecting MVB bulbs. They are very desicating and harsh. And will cause issues no matter how much humidity you attempt to create.

NotBunky

Dallas, TX
I see previous pyramiding and rapid growth. But also I see a Redfoot that looks dry.
Can you photograph those lights of yours? I'm suspecting MVB bulbs. They are very desicating and harsh. And will cause issues no matter how much humidity you attempt to create.
The initial pyramiding was there when I got her. I don't think that I am using MVB bulbs, but I just went and took a picture of it. As for the UVB, I took a picture of the box since I still have it. The humidity almost never dips below 60%, but is usually around the 75%-80% mark.

As for the new raised lines between her scutes, do you think that is from rapid growth or pyramiding? Does rapid growth mean I need to limit her portions a little bit?

As for the dryness, I don't really understand why she has gotten more dry lately. She gets a bath daily. Could it be the winter dryness? Side not: it almost looks like a white film from some angles, which brought me to researching "hard water". I live in Texas, which has some of the highest rates of "hard water" in the U.S. - I wonder if the minerals in our water is drying up on her.

Thank you for your reply!

Attachments

• UVB.jpg
    UVB.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 5
  • UVA.jpg
    UVA.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The initial pyramiding was there when I got her. I don't think that I am using MVB bulbs, but I just went and took a picture of it. As for the UVB, I took a picture of the box since I still have it. The humidity almost never dips below 60%, but is usually around the 75%-80% mark.

As for the new raised lines between her scutes, do you think that is from rapid growth or pyramiding? Does rapid growth mean I need to limit her portions a little bit?

As for the dryness, I don't really understand why she has gotten more dry lately. She gets a bath daily. Could it be the winter dryness? Side not: it almost looks like a white film from some angles, which brought me to researching "hard water". I live in Texas, which has some of the highest rates of "hard water" in the U.S. - I wonder if the minerals in our water is drying up on her.

Those are the only 2 bulbs?
The blue bulb is less than ideal. But it's not dangerous. A CHE would be better and would also provide heat at night since it puts out no light at all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, something has changed recently to cause new pyramiding?

It would seem so.

You mention soaking, however, it's the actual living conditions that need to be humid. The substrate needs to be dampened all the way through, and maybe some plants placed around inside to help hold in moisture in the enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you can get your RF some supervised outdoor time a few times a week it'd replace most of all of the need for a supplemental UVB light.
And the enclosure temperature needs to be 80-86. Humidity over 70%. And there should be a large. Shallow "pool" available and lots of shade areas.