Respiratory infection

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just returned from the vets for a same day emergency appointment because I found Sully with his neck extended, mouth open and sort of squeaking. I’m no good with animals being in pain so I fell to bits, I’m not going to lie. She checked he wasn’t choking which he wasn’t, and after a test said she could see what could be a respiratory infection on his left lung. He’s been given antibiotics that I have to inject into the area towards the top side of his leg which I was shown a demo from the nurse.

Showed her a pic of the enclosure and she was happy that it wasn’t down to that, however I’ve gotten home, made a checklist and there’s a couple things that don’t match up with the care sheet which I will change straight away. I think the coco coir with chippings is too dry and dusty, I’m changing that straight away.

I guess the whole reason I’m writing this is to get your guys takes? Do you think the action I’ve described is him gasping for air? From your experiences with infections? I just want to comfort him and for him to be okay, I’m driving myself crazy thinking about how awful it must be for him. I’m incredibly weak when it comes to animals and I’m just mentally drained right now, I feel like I’ve done this to him and it’s because of something I’ve done or something I’ve missed that he’s suffering.

Thanks for your time and for putting up with the rambling

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can't really help without more info. What are the temps? Basking, all over, night?
Diet?
Soakings?
Humidity?
What do you use to measure temps?
Post pic of enclosure.
Inside or outside enclosure?
Could he have gotten to hot? Heat stroke?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I probably wouldn't think it requires removing the substrate. Mabey you need more moisture in the bedding. But more info is needed about the enclosure. Temps might be too low.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Just returned from the vets for a same day emergency appointment because I found Sully with his neck extended, mouth open and sort of squeaking. I’m no good with animals being in pain so I fell to bits, I’m not going to lie. She checked he wasn’t choking which he wasn’t, and after a test said she could see what could be a respiratory infection on his left lung. He’s been given antibiotics that I have to inject into the area towards the top side of his leg which I was shown a demo from the nurse.

Showed her a pic of the enclosure and she was happy that it wasn’t down to that, however I’ve gotten home, made a checklist and there’s a couple things that don’t match up with the care sheet which I will change straight away. I think the coco coir with chippings is too dry and dusty, I’m changing that straight away.

I guess the whole reason I’m writing this is to get your guys takes? Do you think the action I’ve described is him gasping for air? From your experiences with infections? I just want to comfort him and for him to be okay, I’m driving myself crazy thinking about how awful it must be for him. I’m incredibly weak when it comes to animals and I’m just mentally drained right now, I feel like I’ve done this to him and it’s because of something I’ve done or something I’ve missed that he’s suffering.

Thanks for your time and for putting up with the rambling

Hows the temperature in the enclosure? Have you checked it lately vs when you set it up?