Reselling Mazuri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I've noticed a lot of Mazuri Tortoise food for sale in the For Sale listings. I'm curious, are these authorized dealers or resellers making a good profit?

I buy mine from an authorized dealer for 25 pounds I pay $26.

Looking at the prices in the ads, even with shipping, they are making a mint!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I think most, if not all are just folks reselling the Mazuri.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
By the time you figure in the packaging, the shipping, the 4 something per gallon gas to drive it to the post office, the gas to drive to pick up the 25 pound bag in the first place, your time, the postage, etc... I don't think anyone is making a "mint".

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
mattgrizzlybear said:
Where do you buy yours? That is like $1 per pound!

Waaaayyyyy away from you! Eastern Washington (state).

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
By the time you figure in the packaging, the shipping, the 4 something per gallon gas to drive it to the post office, the gas to drive to pick up the 25 pound bag in the first place, your time, the postage, etc... I don't think anyone is making a "mint".

Agreed!! I don't think there are any millionaire tortoise Mazuri resellers!! :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
While they may not make a "mint", I think they make a heck of a god amount on what they sale. The way I look at it would be... there would be no added cost for gas to get the food, because you would be spending the same amount of gas to get your own supply. For me, I live across the street from the post office, so no added cost. Otherwise, even with the very limited driving I do, I would have to go less then six blocks out of my way to get to either of the post offices in the two places I normally do most of my usual shoping in, so really no added gas for "going out of my way" to get to a post office. For shipping you just get those nice free shipping boxes from the post office that allow you to pay a set price for whatever fits in those boxes. (which is how my Mazuri came when I bought from a reseller on this site) The post office actually makes shipping something so quick and easy, plus very reasonable price wise. So, yes, I can see making a nice profit with very little work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Arguing in true Jacqui fashion... :D

Why don't you try selling it for a few months and then come back and tell us how little work it is and how rich you get?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
As a person with only a few tortoises, and those rather small, I appreciate the resellers. I don't have any business buying mazuri 25 lbs at a time. If I can get a few pounds at a time, I consider that a service. I'm a willing and happy participant in the mazuri-reseller economy.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I bought the small bag directly from Mazuri and they shipped free, I was wondering can it be frozen? I am thinking of buying the big bag and freezing it in smaller packages

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Watsonpartyof4 said:
I bought the small bag directly from Mazuri and they shipped free, I was wondering can it be frozen? I am thinking of buying the big bag and freezing it in smaller packages

How big is the small bag and what did it cost?

Don't know about freezing. Sorry.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:

No (and I realize you have a hard time understanding this), I am just giving my opinion based on actual facts in my personal life. Geesh Tom, are you ever going to get over this thing you have against me sharing my thoughts???

Watsonpartyof4 said:

Yes you can freeze it.

Edna said:
As a person with only a few tortoises, and those rather small, I appreciate the resellers. I don't have any business buying mazuri 25 lbs at a time. If I can get a few pounds at a time, I consider that a service. I'm a willing and happy participant in the mazuri-reseller economy.

I know I was glad they were around, when I wanted just a little for testing. :D

Tom said:
Why don't you try selling it for a few months and then come back and tell us how little work it is and how rich you get?

Oh and to this, just as I don't advertise in here when I have hatchlings to sell, I would look at selling Mazuri in here as a conflict of interest with being a Mod. :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:
Tom said:
No (and I realize you have a hard time understanding this), I am just giving my opinion based on actual facts in my personal life. Geesh Tom, are you ever going to get over this thing you have against me sharing my thoughts???

The actual facts in your personal life are opposite those of mine that I just shared. That's what makes it an "argument". Unlike you, I have actually DONE what we are talking about. Its a pain in the rear, and there is not enough money in it to make it even worth it for most. People should be thankful that others are willing to go through all that hassle for a few bucks, and as we've heard, some are thankful for it.

I don't have any "thing" to get over with you. You just seem to like to come onto the forum and say the opposite of whatever I say, so I respond. Its a case by case basis. I don't harbor any sort of "thing". Sorry if it feels that way to you.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:

Huh, guess I missed where you said this was YOUR personal experience?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Posts like this and some of these responses seriously make me want to kick a Kitten......

A mint? Really?

Let me break this down in laymans terms, then we'll figure out if I make a mint.........

Mazuri Tortoise - $32 for 25lbs

Fuel to pick up said Mazuri - $30

Storage - Yes Storage...Since it does cost me space to store it.......

Shipping ONE pound through USPS - $5.75

Dropping off ONE pound of Mazuri round trip - $10 ( conservative figure.....After all it does go up and down, and yes, I have dropped off one pound to the post office before.....SEE BELOW )

Lets see.....Mazuri COSTS me between $2-$2.48 just to use it......I sell the stuff for $2.25 a pound.......Yeah, it really does pay the bills......It boils down to this people. I sell Mazuri because their are customers out there that only want to buy a pound or two at a time. This makes for a happy customer. Happy customers come back and become repeat customers.......Simple logic huh? Am I a Purina distributor? NO Do I want to be a Purina distributor? NO. Do I want to become a feed store just so I can get Mazuri? NO.......I'll let another local, small business owner take care of that. Nobody has to like if I, Eric Ivins of South Central Herpetological re-sells Mazuri. Please, by all means continue on buying it from whoever you buy it from........

But I digress.....There seems to be a growing number of people on this very forum that demonize people making money ( or LOSING it in my case ) in this hobby/trade. I absolutely cannot wait untill my collection is big enough to support everything I work for by only selling wholesale to a few individuals. People just seem to think it is so easy to make a profit, but when this what you do for a living, and this is what feeds your family, THINGS ARE VERY DIFFERENT........The grass just isn't greener on the other side.........

OH I did forget that I vacumn pack the one pound packs.......Just more $$$$$$$ not accounted for.......Those bags are not cheap either......

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
The actual facts in your personal life are opposite those of mine that I just shared. That's what makes it an "argument". Unlike you, I have actually DONE what we are talking about. Its a pain in the rear, and there is not enough money in it to make it even worth it for most. People should be thankful that others are willing to go through all that hassle for a few bucks, and as we've heard, some are thankful for it.

I don't have any "thing" to get over with you. You just seem to like to come onto the forum and say the opposite of whatever I say, so I respond. Its a case by case basis. I don't harbor any sort of "thing". Sorry if it feels that way to you.

Like I said above, I never saw where you had in your prior comments, indicated these were your personal experiences. No Tom, I come on and give folks in here MY personal experiences and MY thoughts, that they sometimes are different then yours is just something that happens. There are times I may disagree or give different advise then other members in here, does not mean I come on here to make a point of saying the opposite of them any more then it does with you. In this thread I do happen to have different thoughts then you and used my own personal life and how it would be for me, IF I would want to do a resale of Mazuri, had not a thing to do with you. I do think they make a nice amount on doing the resale, that's my only point or reason for making a comment on here.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I considered doing this. I could get a 25lb bag for less than $30 at a Pet Club not too far away, and I have a post office right down the street from me. So I wouldn't even need to calculate the cost of travel. But when I add only the shipping costs (shipping supplies and postage), I can't compete with the prices that some are offering it for right here on the forum...at least, not enough to want to take the effort to make a few pennies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I would have to agree with Edna. I would rather pay a little extra and not have to buy a huge bag of it that I will never use. With one little guy, I doubt I will ever get through the two pounds that I bought.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I found a store near me that sells mazuri tortoise chow in 2 lb bags for $2 or 5 lb bags for $6. Soo I bought one of the 2lb bags (somehow a better price as well) and froze it. They don't sell it in large bags to the public since I figure they sell these smaller bags to make their own profit, but they aren't shipping it anywhere.

I didn't even think the store would have it since they barely sell any foods but dog/cat food, but there it was.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
About freezing. When I called mazuri about the shelf life and me freezing it they said it could possibly increase the shelf life but would not commit that it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.