rescued sulcata with shell injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logz23

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond VA
I rescued a sulcata from the middle of the road but apparently arrived just minutes too late.He as a piece of his carapace missing... if u look at the tortoise pic at the top of forum it would be the fourth piece from back from the head (counting the first small bump) also a bit further back is a small scrape that just scratched the top of the shell.i have cleaned it a few with diluted hydrogen peroxide but havent covered it up or put any ointment on it.it was obvious that it had just started bleeding when i found him and had stopped later that night when i got him home.he has no problems with mobility or eating (like a horse).i have made hime a 4 x 8 foot table in the garage, have been feeding him dandelions, lettuce and mazuri and have been letting him graze.I cannot find a tortoise vet around Richmond va and would like to know what i should do. i am commited to keeping him.I will take some pictures tommorow of the tortoise and his table, which i havent put any substrate in yet fearing his wound would get dirty.He seems happy and fine but i need to know how to fix him up.i have read about shell repair buit need to show pictures for you all to tell me exactly what to do.uvb light and grass mix is already ordered. HE IS SOOOO COOOL will post pics as soon as possible

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Logz23:

Welcome to the forum!!

I know you would love to keep this beauty, however, before you go to a lot of trouble for him, please try to find his owners. Sulcatas are not native and he is someone's lost pet. Maybe the gardener left the gate open, or maybe he knocked a board out of the fence. They people were probably at work and may not have even missed the tortoise yet. Signs on the utility poles work well, and most newspaper allow free ads for "found" pets. But if you advertise, don't put too much information. There are nefarious people out there just looking for a free tortoise.

I don't think you need to do anything about the missing piece of shell. Chips and chunks come out of the edges all the time, and even if it bleeds a bit, it will be ok.

Here's hoping you get to keep your new-found tortoise!

Logz23

5 Year Member
Richmond VA
it has been a week since i found him and i work on the same street in the same neighborhood every day.we call the communties office to see if someone reported him missing as well as posted signs saying simply turtle found.i have over a 130 invested in the table and food already.plus in just a week i am very attached as is my 3 year old daughter and bowzer will be staying

i have kept many different types of reptiles in 23 years and knew immediately when we were about to run over him that he wasnt native and was in fact a tortoise and not a "snapping turtle" like my boss thought lol.however i didnt know much about tortoises and initially thought that it was a full grown leopard or russian and was a little suprised when i got home to learn what this guy or gal really is

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Im so glad you found him in time. Atleast 1 or 2 times a week I rescue a turtle on the road so that it will not get hit. Can you see any of his insides? :(

Logz23

5 Year Member
Richmond VA
the chunk is one of the top pieces not out of the side. the fourth piece back from the neck if you look at the forum picture at the top of the site.

no you cannot see his insides.you can see it move when he breathes but it is not pink and when he was bleeding you could tell the skin was barely pierced. i will post pic tom

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Logz23 said:
the chunk is one of the top pieces not out of the side. the fourth piece back from the neck if you look at the forum picture at the top of the site.

no you cannot see his insides.you can see it move when he breathes but it is not pink and when he was bleeding you could tell the skin was barely pierced. i will post pic tom

Yeah post a pic. That would help a lot:)

Status
Not open for further replies.