Rescued sulcata tortoise

Rescued Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello! New to the forum, but we just rescued a very sick sulcata. We were told he is 7 yrs old. He does not walk/use his back legs for anything other than scooting around, although he is quite quick at scooting. He was loaded with parasites so he has been treated for that. He was covered in poop and I don't think he had ever been soaked. He smelled terrible. His shell is a mess. It was squishy when we first got him, but is getting firmer. I am wondering if anyone has seen it this bad and if he will eventually recover? He seems to be doing better now with proper treatment. Will his shell eventually start to look better? Will he eventually start using his legs?

Attachments

• 20230313_105459.jpg
    20230313_105459.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230313_105501.jpg
    20230313_105501.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be a good idea to get an x-ray. When they can't use their back legs it is sometimes caused by something pressing on the nerves back there - constipated, stones, etc.

Rescued Tortoise

Michigan
It would be a good idea to get an x-ray. When they can't use their back legs it is sometimes caused by something pressing on the nerves back there - constipated, stones, etc.
Thanks! He is pooping almost daily. He did let out a ton of white milky liquid today, no chunks, just milky. I have been soaking him daily. We figured he has lived on a slippery surface his whole life and has never built up muscles for walking. He does pull them in and out of his shell. Just won't lift up to walk.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you for taking care of him! Can you do more pictures of him and his enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Slippery surface may explain it. Another good reason for an x-ray. Constant slippery surface sometimes causes the leg bones to come out of the hip socket.

Rescued Tortoise

Michigan
Thank you for taking care of him! Can you do more pictures of him and his enclosure?
So honestly, we have had him just over a week, and we just focused on making sure he would survive. Now that he seems to be perking up and doing better, I am going to work on his enclosure. We made sure he had heat, proper UV lighting (they could never tell us what lamp they used so I am concerned he never had anything but sunlight through the window of his glass tank), good food with calcium added, and fresh water, with daily soaks. He is in about 3'x8' with a good floor to grip and try to encourage walking. Now we will start adding all of the fun stuff with more toys, climbing to encourage muscle development, and enrichment.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@SinLA ...so the shell was soft and squishy, and the tort presents with problems walking correctly and lifting his legs to walk...does MBD enter into this?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for taking him in. Can we see some pictures of the entire tortoise top and bottom?