Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Hey guys,

My Hubby picked this guy up in the middle of the interstate. Said he possibly got clipped by a semi. I cannot see any injury from being hit, but I can tell you a dog used him as a chew toy lately. He has some fresh wounds on him.

Anyways, what concerns me is his hinge. It looks like it has been torn. I am not sure if that is the right word or not but nothing else seems to come to mind at this time.

What do you think?

box003.jpg

Should I do anything for it like put neosprin on it or anything or just keep an eye on it to see if it heals?

Thanks a bunch,

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
That would be the bridge. I would treat it with neosporin keeping it clean ( sphagrum is great). It will heal in a year or so. Won't be pretty but it'll give him character.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I buy the generic triple antibiotic. It works the same and is less expensive. Glad he has you now!

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Itort said:
That would be the bridge. I would treat it with neosporin keeping it clean ( sphagrum is great). It will heal in a year or so. Won't be pretty but it'll give him character.

The bridge huh. I guess I learn something new everyday. Works for me. :p

Okay, so I should get him off the dirt and use sphagnum instead. Got it. Poor little fella. Sweet as ever though. Not very shy compared to some.

Say hi. LOL

box001.jpg

Yeah, I know, crummy picture but I did not want to freak him out.

Thanks a bunch Larry.

ARKelly

Thanks Dee, that is exactly what I have. LOL I prefer cheap. LOL

ARKelly

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Isa said:
He is soo cute :D
That is very nice of you and your hubby to help him.

Thanks Isa,

This poor thing has been around the block a few times. You can tell where he either got run over by a moxer or hit with a weed eater on the top of his shell. He is missing 2 toes on his right front leg. He has several "battle" scars from some sort of animal attack and he has fresh wounds from a dog.

I just keep wondering if he would have survived the winter with his bridge problem ot if he would have developed some sort of infection from it. It looks pretty nasty in person. What is worse is the torn bridge opens up more when he pulls into his shell. :(

He is is very capable hands now though. He will be spoiled rotten before too long. :rolleyes:

ARKelly

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Kelly :D his bridge is just fine. He's been around a long time and some box turtles, over time, replace their bridge with the same connective tissue that their hinges are made of. I've seen a few old Three-toeds that had this. They hibernate just fine.
I'm not sure about the recent dog bites though. How do they look?

Danny

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
Kelly :D his bridge is just fine. He's been around a long time and some box turtles, over time, replace their bridge with the same connective tissue that their hinges are made of. I've seen a few old Three-toeds that had this. They hibernate just fine.
I'm not sure about the recent dog bites though. How do they look?

Danny

Hey Danny,

I don't mean to question you, but are you sure the bridge is fine? It looks awfully raw.

The dogs bites look okay. No infection that I can see. I did have to wipe some blood off the ones near his back legs, but nothing horrific. I am keeping them clean and putting neosporin on them.

ARKelly

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm very sure :D It is a little red and thats probably from the stress of the dog attack. He looks like he is doing great. :)

Danny

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
I'm very sure :D It is a little red and thats probably from the stress of the dog attack. He looks like he is doing great. :)

Danny

Thank you very much Danny. That makes me feel tons better. ;)

ARKelly

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
I sure will Isa, thank you.

Donna, yes he does, his name is Lucky. I thought is was suitable. :)

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.