Rescued a tortoise... need help please

deee-deee

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all, i'm new here and so thankful I found this forum - i'm in southern california

I just rescued a russian tortoise that required a new home. I had him a few years back for about 6 months and they wanted him back, now I have him again
I've had him for 6 days now - and he has been in his hide 24/7.. he has not had any food / water
I've let him out almost daily for a bit in my enclosed yard and once out he is active and walking around - seems great
put him back in enclosure and straight to the hide
I asked the people who had him if this is what they were seeing and they said its probably from being moved, give him some time

some things to mention
- he has been in this same enclosure for probably 6-7 years - enclosure Is 36" x 18" I am planning to make him an outdoor enclosure that is far larger or something bigger indoors, but i'll save that post for later ;)
- he had a daylight / uvb on 7am-7pm and they had a ceramic heat bulb going for 24 hours. after doing some research, I adjusted it - heat / uvb 7am - 7pm (90-100 in hot area, 80ish in cool) and i'm not doing heat at night (temp drops to about 75ish degrees overnight)
- i'm giving him same diet he has been on - variety of leafy greens

Do you think this could just be from being moved? Removing the night time heat
Any thoughts? At what point do I take him to a vet?

Thanks - i'm a total newb in the tortoise world

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you for re-taking in the tortoise to your family... I hope they don't take it back again. Are you soaking him? If so how long and often

deee-deee

Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for re-taking in the tortoise to your family... I hope they don't take it back again. Are you soaking him? If so how long and often
No i'm not.. I really do not know much about it (I just asked if they were doing this and they were not in the 6-7 years they've had it) :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Read this for the correct care info:

Its not okay for the tortoise to sit for six days. You need to get it out, soak it, and get it into the right kind of enclosures, both indoors and out.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Get a small tub, preferably one that he can't see out of. Put in enough warm water up to his BOTTOM scute. Maybe 1/4 of an inch. If the water gets cold change the water. If he poops in it, change the water. Let him soak for 30 minutes. I am estimating the amount of water because you said 6 years old.

deee-deee

Los Angeles, CA
i've been taking him out everyday.. he has been in this same enclosure for 6-7 years now, as well as never soaked by previous owner - so i'm assuming that isn't the issue at present
Note - I absolutely intend on getting him into a better enclosure and am currently researching soaking and what I need to do

deee-deee

Los Angeles, CA
Get a small tub, preferably one that he can't see out of. Put in enough warm water up to his BOTTOM scute. Maybe 1/4 of an inch. If the water gets cold change the water. If he poops in it, change the water. Let him soak for 30 minutes. I am estimating the amount of water because you said 6 years old.
Oh thank you for this info... i'm going to do it now. How often should I do this?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I would do it twice a day since he has never soaked. He will probably climb the walls of the tub. I would watch him closely. See if he perks up and let us know also make sure his nose doesn't stay under water. I probably underestimated 1/4 inch.

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. There are many experts here to help you. Try to add pictures of his enclosure and him, please. What is his name?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Keep up with the soaks! George seems to enjoy it. Make sure the water is warm. I am so happy he is eating. Great job doing that so quickly. My opinion, once he is eating better and regularly, I would cut his is soaks back to 1 time a day. Then eventually you can do every other day. But for now keep up the soaks. He is cute. An expert can come in to help with your enclosure.

Lwilliams

Fremont, California
His name is George, no clue how old he is.
He seemed to love the soak. I put him back in enclosure and he is finally EATING!!! Yay

next up, figuring out an amazing enclosure...

Thank you again for the advice so grateful to have found this forum

?
Fellow Russian tortie owner and newly moved to SoCal, and that one picture shows a very happy George taking a long sip of water! He is very happy in that picture! I recommend replacing his water container with a clay plant saucer, one that allows him to easily fit within. The one he has now won't work for climbing in and soaking on his own.

deee-deee

Los Angeles, CA
Fellow Russian tortie owner and newly moved to SoCal, and that one picture shows a very happy George taking a long sip of water! He is very happy in that picture! I recommend replacing his water container with a clay plant saucer, one that allows him to easily fit within. The one he has now won't work for climbing in and soaking on his own.
Thank you - I actually ordered one yesterday on amazon lol... welcome to SoCal.. you don't happen to be an expert in enclosures or making them do you? ?

deee-deee

Los Angeles, CA
Read this for the correct care info:

Its not okay for the tortoise to sit for six days. You need to get it out, soak it, and get it into the right kind of enclosures, both indoors and out.
Tom that guide is so helpful, thanks for sharing... I see you are in socal as well. Can you recommend somewhere / someone who can help with enclosures?

Lwilliams

Fremont, California
That looks great!! I need someone to come build one for me... do you leave them outdoors all the time? I have space for indoor or outdoor
I always brought them in at night. I didn’t have a heater and didn’t want raccoons to get under the chicken wire cover. I’m an older woman and I built it myself with bricks! It was fun and satisfying!