RES Shell getting worse

natalie3

Hi!
I post the picture of Valentina, my adored RES. Her (I don´t know yet, but I say she´s a girl :)) shell started getting white and it´s worse each day. The texture is not like cotton as I´ve read in fungal infections. Help please!!!

2wnzno6.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I don't know squat about this but I'm going to bump this bread so it stays at the top of the new threads list for someone smarter than me to chime in. My guess would be shell rot or a burn from a lamp.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I can't see a picture? :confused:
White? Me thinking it's some type of shell rot if it's not fuzzy and cotton like. Is he able to dry out completely? (on land)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The picture shows up for me.

Another bump

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Does it scrub off with an old tooth brush?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

natalie3

I consulted a vet and she said it was because of the minerals in the water, that a water conditioner would fix it and my baby should be fine. Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thank you! just checking :D Did it scrub off? Def minerals then, and using a water conditioner could be a good idea anyway, because some tap water contains chlorine and other chemicals that can be harmful to your turtle.

natalie3

Thank you! just checking :D Did it scrub off? Def minerals then, and using a water conditioner could be a good idea anyway, because some tap water contains chlorine and other chemicals that can be harmful to your turtle.

It scrubbed off a little but the vet said I should be gentle so I guess it will be going away with time once the water is conditioned.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Okay... that's not heat, though. It's just UVB. Do you have the coil ReptiSun or the tube? Do you have any other bulbs besides this?
images.jpg 18-bulb-15-watt-t8.jpg
The coil type (could be known as a compact bulb) is bad for tort's and turtles eyes, and I read that they can affect baby animals eyes worse than adults :(