Requirements For A Tortoise Table?

J

Jillian Fricke

I am attempting to construct an indoor tortoise table, but have no idea where to begin? I have room to make mine five feet long by two feet wide.
What type of wood should I purchase?
How thick should the wood be?
Someone recommended placing a shower curtain on the base of the habitat, in order to prevent moisture from the substrate soaking through the wood & causing mold. Would this be a regular cloth shower curtain or one of the plastic clear/tan inner curtains?
Any other tips?

ethan508

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
Plywood is a good. Press-board, particle board, and MDF won't stand up to moisture as well. Use a plastic barrier (shower curtain, thick plastic sheeting) to prevent moisture/rot problems. In lieu of a plastic liner, you could use a paint-on marine sealer/epoxy.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
How old? An adult could live(if necessary) in a tortoise table but the babies and juveniles have stricter heat/humidity requirements to stay healthy. Check out the closed chamber threads for the young before you build. Especially since adults do well in these enclosures as well. If you're at all handy there are some neat examples in there and some easier examples as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian Tort & Pennsylvania. :)

I use regular plywood and 2x4s or 2x3s. 1/2 inch or 11/32 plywood will work. I use 4x4s for the legs. You can use DryLok, exterior paint, or thick plastic sheeting for the bottom and sides.