Request for photos!!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I want to spread tortoise awareness, as we all do.
Whenever I see my physical therapist, he always asks about my tortoise. Yesterday he asked what my favorite tortoise was and what the most expensive tortoise is.
I told him my fav are the Burmese stars and tried to describe them to him, but a picture is worth a thousand words!!
I would like to be able to show him photos of Burmese stars as well as ANY beautiful tortoise!
I made a wild guess at most expensive, and said Aldabra (he'd never heard of them, of course) and said $1,000. He was shocked at the price! In retrospect, I think $1,000 was too low.
SOOOOO...
I'm requesting photos of not just Burmese stars, but ANY tortoise you think is especially beautiful!
I'm also requesting photos of expensive tortoises and the cost (or approximate cost).
I seem him again this Thursday, 8/9.

Thanks!!!

Mooz :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aldabras are 2000 for a hatchling. But the Galapagos is the most expensive that can be owned, but not easily.
The Radiated I think is the most beautiful.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here are some beautiful Radiated Tortoises. These would have been in the $4K to $6K each price range a few years ago before it became almost impossible to get permits to sell them across state lines. Not sure what the value would be today since the sales possibilities are now limited.

Attachments

• #1241 B.jpg
    #1241 B.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 3
  • #1038 Radiated.jpg
    #1038 Radiated.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 3
  • #1041 Radiated.jpg
    #1041 Radiated.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 3
  • #1466 Radiated 2014.jpg
    #1466 Radiated 2014.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 3
  • #987.jpg
    #987.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 3
  • #1250 Radiated A.jpg
    #1250 Radiated A.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 2
  • #966 Radiated.jpg
    #966 Radiated.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3
  • #1466 Radiated 2016.jpg
    #1466 Radiated 2016.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
And here are some very nice Burmese Star Tortoises. These had about the same value as the Radiated Tortoises when I first began breeding them. Not sure, but I think they would still be quite valuable today because most of the ones you see are not as colorful as these.

Attachments

• Platynota Female #23.JPG
    Platynota Female #23.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Burmese Adult Pair.JPG
    Burmese Adult Pair.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Burmese Star Female.JPG
    Burmese Star Female.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Burmese Star Trio.JPG
    Burmese Star Trio.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Platynota #423.jpg
    Platynota #423.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Platynota #210 (1).jpg
    Platynota #210 (1).jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Platynota #171.jpg
    Platynota #171.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 4

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here are the results of my three generations of breeding Sri Lankan Star Tortoises. The breeding sized adults with colors like these were worth $3500 or so each when I was breeding them in the early 2000's.

Attachments

• Sri Lankan Stars #2.JPG
    Sri Lankan Stars #2.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Adult Sri Lankans.jpg
    Adult Sri Lankans.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Sri Lankan #5A.JPG
    Sri Lankan #5A.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Sri Lankan #9 A.JPG
    Sri Lankan #9 A.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Sri Lankan Pairs 2003-A.JPG
    Sri Lankan Pairs 2003-A.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Sri Lankan Babies 2003.JPG
    Sri Lankan Babies 2003.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@zovick those prices, were they for hatchlings, juniors or adults?
Back when I would run across some Rad hatchlings for sale, they were around the same as Aldabra hatchlings, around 2000.00. Some less but they, the Aldabras, were imports.
I also didn't know they ever could go across state lines. That must have been before I got into tortoises, which was 2010/2011.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@zovick those prices, were they for hatchlings, juniors or adults?
Back when I would run across some Rad hatchlings for sale, they were around the same as Aldabra hatchlings, around 2000.00. Some less but they, the Aldabras, were imports.
I also didn't know they ever could go across state lines. That must have been before I got into tortoises, which was 2010/2011.
The prices I mentioned would generally be for animals which were older than hatchlings but not yet adults. Proven breeding stock would be a bit higher in price.

Just FYI, if a person wishes to buy or sell any species of tortoise which is listed in the US Endangered Species Act from anywhere outside of his/her state of legal residence, he/she needs to possess a Captive Bred Wildlife Permit (CBW) which is issued by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. This law has been in effect since 1976 or 1977 as I recall. I got my first CBW Permit in 1978 and held one until 2019 when I stopped breeding any of the species which required it. Persons who hold these permits are required to report all births, deaths, sales, trades, and any other transactions involving the species covered by their permit ANNUALLY to the USFWS. The permits used to cost $100 for a two year period, but I believe that now they are $200 for five years. I'm not positive of that number, though.

I gave up my permit and the breeding of endangered species because, due to a change in directors, the USFWS began denying most peoples' applications for both new permits and renewals of their existing permits starting in about 2017. Without a CBW Permit, one can buy or sell endangered species only within their state of legal residence. This drastically reduces the ability to sell these species and is the reason almost all ads for endangered tortoises today state that the animals are offered only with the state where the seller resides, which is probably why you thought they could not cross state lines. They can do so, but ONLY IF BOTH THE BUYER AND THE SELLER HAVE CBW PERMITS, which is most unlikely today due to the reason I mentioned above.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The prices I mentioned would generally be for animals which were older than hatchlings but not yet adults. Proven breeding stock would be a bit higher in price.

Just FYI, if a person wishes to buy or sell any species of tortoise which is listed in the US Endangered Species Act from anywhere outside of his/her state of legal residence, he/she needs to possess a Captive Bred Wildlife Permit (CBW) which is issued by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. This law has been in effect since 1976 or 1977 as I recall. I got my first CBW Permit in 1978 and held one until 2019 when I stopped breeding any of the species which required it. Persons who hold these permits are required to report all births, deaths, sales, trades, and any other transactions involving the species covered by their permit ANNUALLY to the USFWS. The permits used to cost $100 for a two year period, but I believe that now they are $200 for five years. I'm not positive of that number, though.

I gave up my permit and the breeding of endangered species because, due to a change in directors, the USFWS began denying most peoples' applications for both new permits and renewals of their existing permits starting in about 2017. Without a CBW Permit, one can buy or sell endangered species only within their state of legal residence. This drastically reduces the ability to sell these species and is the reason almost all ads for endangered tortoises today state that the animals are offered only with the state where the seller resides, which is probably why you thought they could not cross state lines. They can do so, but ONLY IF BOTH THE BUYER AND THE SELLER HAVE CBW PERMITS, which is most unlikely today due to the reason I mentioned above.
Thanks for clarifying that. I had only ever read, on here, years ago, that the breeder/seller and buyer both had to have the permit, but still could not sell out of state. Either I read the incorrect info or I interpreted it wrong.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for clarifying that. I had only ever read, on here, years ago, that the breeder/seller and buyer both had to have the permit, but still could not sell out of state. Either I read the incorrect info or I interpreted it wrong.
Hard to say which might be the case. I will say that a lot of people misinterpret the law, so perhaps what you read back then was incorrectly stated.

At any rate, the post I wrote has all the correct information based on 41 years of dealing with the CBW Permit requirements.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
A Leopard tortoise maybe not the most expensive, however still so beautiful. I purchased Ink 17 years ago...so I can't give you a price for a hatchling. He is priceless to me🥰

Attachments

• PXL_20230404_155206254.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230404_155206254.MP.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230404_154300457.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230404_154300457.MP.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A Leopard tortoise maybe not the most expensive, however still so beautiful. I purchased Ink 17 years ago...so I can't give you a price for a hatchling. He is priceless to me🥰
Love the leopards. I think they are beautiful too. Yes, mine are absolutely priceless.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Here are some beautiful Radiated Tortoises. These would have been in the $4K to $6K each price range a few years ago before it became almost impossible to get permits to sell them across state lines. Not sure what the value would be today since the sales possibilities are now limited.
THANK YOU!!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
And here are some very nice Burmese Star Tortoises. These had about the same value as the Radiated Tortoises when I first began breeding them. Not sure, but I think they would still be quite valuable today because most of the ones you see are not as colorful as these.
And THANK YOU, AGAIN!!!!