Repurpose project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Some of you might remember a couple weeks ago I posted a picture of a salvaged ...thing...

image-3607960635.png

Well it's been sitting on my front porch (dueling banjos) since being found and I was given orders today to get moving on repurposing it. SO as promised I came to you guys.
As most salvaged things go it has an...essence about it, I did a baking soda water damp cloth wipe down but I was wondering how in-depth with the deodorizing do I have to go if I plan to seal the wood still, do I do a typical wipe down/sanitizing and pray it seals the funk in?!

This is the first step...question and harassment of many. I still have to figure out how to build a stand for it since i don't want it on the ground :/ (halp!!!!)

I end up looking like this with my little know how:

image-2171186655.png

(god help me, my Grandfather would kill me for not knowing these things, never mind my carpenter step father!)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had to prime and paint a piece of wood that had that old musty smell. Well, it worked, kinda. You can't smell it until you get really close to it. The smell was strong before I started. Not so strong after I finished. Hoping you can kinda use that as your gauge.
BTW, good move on the salvage.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
wellington said:
I had to prime and paint a piece of wood that had that old musty smell. Well, it worked, kinda. You can't smell it until you get really close to it. The smell was strong before I started. Not so strong after I finished. Hoping you can kinda use that as your gauge.
BTW, good move on the salvage.

We just moved into this tiny historic home...talk about old smell, Christ on a bike. This thing has its own scent too...I read online that you can also mix baking soda & dry coffee grounds together and sprinkle that on the offending object and let it set for a few days. Dunno if anyone has success with that. It seems like dampening it with the baking soda wash simply aggravated the smell that I thought was gone. Perfect!
It will most likely end up in my bedroom so I guess I should work harder on getting the smell out :[
I'm really hoping we can get it up and going for Echo, she really needs a better space. I'd love to tent it too of course. Oh the adventure this is going to be.

"lady burns historic shanty down in attempts to perfect tortoise enclosure, smell still overpowering!!!"

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Lol.
White vinegar is a good cleanser. Use it with a stiff bristled scrub brush.
Yes, it also has an odor, but if you hose it off well then let it bake dry?

If that does not work, you can seal the inside with an primer: Kilz Max, which is water based but acts like an oil based paint. If you don't like a white interior, then line the interior with shower pan or pond liner, or cover with a water based floor paint in the color of your choice. the outside could be treated the same way as I am sure that stinks too.

That looks like it will be a very nice tortoise enclosure!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I tired the baking soda on the smell. Didn't work. However, it did work on a cat urine stain on my wood floor, go figure. I think the musty smell is deeper then let's say my cats urine smell, as I was getting it up right away. I would try the vinegar as suggested. Let it bake in the sun and see how it smells. If its not real strong, the primer, like the kilnz might cover it up.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
lynnedit said:
Lol.
White vinegar is a good cleanser. Use it with a stiff bristled scrub brush.
Yes, it also has an odor, but if you hose it off well then let it bake dry?

If that does not work, you can seal the inside with an primer: Kilz Max, which is water based but acts like an oil based paint. If you don't like a white interior, then line the interior with shower pan or pond liner, or cover with a water based floor paint in the color of your choice. the outside could be treated the same way as I am sure that stinks too.

That looks like it will be a very nice tortoise enclosure!

I love vinegar. It's my base for a lot of cleaners around the house. I haven't purchased "real" cleaners or chemicals as an adult! I was wondering if I could spray it since its untreated.
Did you know apple cider also pulls odors? I place a dish in stinky rooms and after a couple days it's clear :] of course the vinegar as its own smell as you know!
I'm so taking your advice! So the killz will block absorption from her coco coir, humidifier etc? I've not used it much other than to paint my grandmothers porch rails once as a kid.

wellington said:
I tired the baking soda on the smell. Didn't work. However, it did work on a cat urine stain on my wood floor, go figure. I think the musty smell is deeper then let's say my cats urine smell, as I was getting it up right away. I would try the vinegar as suggested. Let it bake in the sun and see how it smells. If its not real strong, the primer, like the kilnz might cover it up.

Ok! I'm off to do that. I'm beyond thrilled to have another use for my gallons of vinegar. I'm such a nerd :/ at least you guys understand haha.
And I agree!! Old set in funk really holds on, I don't get it!
I dunno if this thing acquired its signature fragrance during its intended use, by the dumpster or maybe both!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I know the Kilz products will seal out stains, etc., but look at the paint can to see if they say they are also waterproof.

If not, then at least you can use them to make the enclosure tolerable smell wise.
Then you could still use a pond liner, tarp, etc., for the inside to be sure it is water proof.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
lynnedit said:
I know the Kilz products will seal out stains, etc., but look at the paint can to see if they say they are also waterproof.

If not, then at least you can use them to make the enclosure tolerable smell wise.
Then you could still use a pond liner, tarp, etc., for the inside to be sure it is water proof.

That's what I was going to do too. I planned on coating it then using a tarp or shower curtain to line the inside, didn't know if it was overkill. Glad I'm on the right track!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd scrub it real well with vinegar (I don't understand the difference, however most vinegar-to-be-used-as-cleaner-sites tell you to use distilled or white vinegar to clean with), then set it in the sun for at least a full day and let the sun work its wonders on the "thing."

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
The vinegar and baking soda solution works well on cat pee.

In other news, I started making my enclosure for my tortoise today -- my tortoise is in "foster care" at my friend's house until I get mine built.

Yee-haw!

Status
Not open for further replies.