Reptile super show

Rynan

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Just went to the show this past weekend and it was a bit sad. Majority of the tortoise there had extreme pyramiding or the babies looked super dry. You'd think they know what they are doing. Le sigh....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just went to the show this past weekend and it was a bit sad. Majority of the tortoise there had extreme pyramiding or the babies looked super dry. You'd think they know what they are doing. Le sigh....
NOPE! This is why it is so hard to find a breeder who does it right. So few know what to do and just keep doing it the way they've always done it.

Did you meet Will and Mark? Tyler?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Big shame, poor tortoises ☹️:tort::tort::tort:. They are so dependant on good quality and correct care in captivity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sad thing is some of them do know better but won't do it. The cost to do it right to a breeder with multiple species is expensive and they'd rather make the money.
A good dog breeder doesn't make much money on breeding if they do it right. Same with tortoise breeders.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Did you stop by our booth? = Kapidolo Farms / Smart Tortoise Keepers / Galapagos Tortoise Alliance.

You didn't identify yourself if you did. We had a good group of great, smooth perfect tortoises. Even a few 1 year old Galapagos for display and education that are absolutely perfectly smooth to show people how tortoises should be! Spent the whole weekend educating folks on how tortoises really should look and how they should be cared for. Tyler (Tortoise Supply) also was there with lots of very good looking, well cared for tortoises.

That's one of the main reasons I spend time at shows doing this! Constantly educating on the best practices. We are doing something about it - if folks just spend the time to look instead of the first few they come to - both at shows and on the internet!!!

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
True story.
I was there inquiring about some box turtles
Me: are those eastern or Three-Toed ?
Vendor: Yes they are Three-Tailed turtle
Me: 。。。。。。。

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Did you stop by our booth? = Kapidolo Farms / Smart Tortoise Keepers / Galapagos Tortoise Alliance.

You didn't identify yourself if you did. We had a good group of great, smooth perfect tortoises. Even a few 1 year old Galapagos for display and education that are absolutely perfectly smooth to show people how tortoises should be! Spent the whole weekend educating folks on how tortoises really should look and how they should be cared for. Tyler (Tortoise Supply) also was there with lots of very good looking, well cared for tortoises.

That's one of the main reasons I spend time at shows doing this! Constantly educating on the best practices. We are doing something about it - if folks just spend the time to look instead of the first few they come to - both at shows and on the internet!!!
Ok now I get it. 😁I've always loved posts from you and Kapidolo farrms whatever 😝

Rynan

Southern California

I did, yours was the last booth I visited. The only one I enjoyed.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I did, yours was the last booth I visited. The only one I enjoyed.
Please introduce yourself next time as a TFO member. We love putting faces to the avatars we recognize here! That goes for anyone at a reptile show who also is a TFO member! I am constantly recommending TFO to all the folks I visit with at shows. Every tortoise we sell - on the info badge on the display is a QR code linked to the care sheet here for that species. Any questions I get about a species - I also point to the QR code and tell them to scan. I'll bet I said 1000 times last weekend, "don't trust anything you see on facebook or youtube. TortoiseForum.org is the ONLY place I trust for reliable information on tortoises!"

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Please introduce yourself next time as a TFO member. We love putting faces to the avatars we recognize here! That goes for anyone at a reptile show who also is a TFO member! I am constantly recommending TFO to all the folks I visit with at shows. Every tortoise we sell - on the info badge on the display is a QR code linked to the care sheet here for that species. Any questions I get about a species - I also point to the QR code and tell them to scan. I'll bet I said 1000 times last weekend, "don't trust anything you see on facebook or youtube. TortoiseForum.org is the ONLY place I trust for reliable information on tortoises!"
Will you be at the Pomona show next month ?

John7429

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
Most vendors are just retailers/resellers. They are not actually breeding or raising their stock/inventory. There were a few breeders there and as some have mentioned, their animals looked great.

This is akin to any other animal in the pet trade. $$ becomes the priority and quality takes a back seat.

Tortellini5

Santa Monica, CA
Hello, I just realized these shows were happening I am attending the Pomona reptile show on Aug 13th. If you are attending please let me know and feel free to recommend booths or any certain plant/food products. I would like to also meet and ask questions to TF members! Thank you in advance. This will be my first show as my torti is about to be 1yr old.

John7429

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
Hello, I just realized these shows were happening I am attending the Pomona reptile show on Aug 13th. If you are attending please let me know and feel free to recommend booths or any certain plant/food products. I would like to also meet and ask questions to TF members! Thank you in advance. This will be my first show as my torti is about to be 1yr old.
Better yet, check out your local CTTC chapter (tortoise.org)
There's another show called Repticon (OC Fair Grounds) in Aug as well.