Reptile expo shows?

Tortaddictt

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello. We have a show coming here next month and I was wondering if anyone has ever been to one,and what to expect? Is it just a “walk around” of the reptiles and things vendors are selling? Of course my only interest would be the torts and possibly purchasing one.

baldegale

Hello. We have a show coming here next month and I was wondering if anyone has ever been to one,and what to expect? Is it just a “walk around” of the reptiles and things vendors are selling? Of course my only interest would be the torts and possibly purchasing one.

next month, are you talking about the nashville one? also, pretty much vendors have tables setup around the perimeter then a couple table “islands” going in the middle of the perimeter. vendors have all their animals set up in displays and you can just walk around and look at all the animals and ask to handle them and ask the vendors/breeders any questions you have.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most reptile shows are pretty slim pickins when it comes to turtles and tortoises. Just go and have a good time. Walk around and look at the prices the vendors are selling supplies for. Most times, you can buy supplies cheaper at a show. But walk around the whole thing before you decide to buy something because as soon as you buy, the next vendor down the line is selling it cheaper. It's a fun time and an eye opening experience, and if the vendors aren't too busy you can pick their brains. But remember, get your tortoise-keeping info here. We'll give you the best scoop.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
We have a good Reptile Expo here in Tucson , everything from Arachnids to Tortoises ! I like them because I do not care to purchase animals through the mail . It is just me , but I enjoy looking and handling an animal previous to purchase ! It is a nice day out for us to view the reptiles and talk to other people who are interested in the same things we are ! :cool:

show 3.jpg

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
Expos are a great way to make new friends and look at all manner of nice reptiles, amphibians and inverts. A great place to get supplies. But beware of some vendors who might not really care about the animals they are selling. Ask lots of questions. If they have no answer, go somewhere else.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I went to a couple here in Illinois. I found most tortoise vendors were not only housing them poorly in my opinion at the show but you could tell they didn't know the last ref on their care.
Like others have said, supplies usually cheaper and fun to look. Just don't listen too much to what they say about the animals as far as care, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The only problem with buying at an expo is that most breeders and sellers don't start or house babies correctly and this can lead to death weeks or months later, even though everything seems fine while you are there. Read these before you buy so that you'll know what questions to ask:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Don't buy a dry a started baby. Best to buy directly from a breeder that starts them correctly. If there is a seller at the show who starts them correctly, then I strongly suggest you buy one from them so you can pick the one you like and not have to ship.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Here in nyc, we attend the one up in yonkers. Its always pretty solid. We bought our first redfoot from here and its been 4 years with Mr. Red. As others have mentioned, be leery of how they are housed and the lack of info when you ask them questions. Supplies are cheaper and its nice to meet other reptile lovers. This year, I might be picking up a bearded dragon. Really hoping for a baby russian tortoise to be there.

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
The only problem with buying at an expo is that most breeders and sellers don't start or house babies correctly and this can lead to death weeks or months later, even though everything seems fine while you are there. Read these before you buy so that you'll know what questions to ask:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Don't buy a dry a started baby. Best to buy directly from a breeder that starts them correctly. If there is a seller at the show who starts them correctly, then I strongly suggest you buy one from them so you can pick the one you like and not have to ship.

YES. Orlando gets a good handful of shows per year. During the summertime there's definitely more turtles and tortoises available...but back then I wasn't looking to get one so I never asked how they were raised. I got Hoppy at a December show, he was the last one left from the clutch. Only a few other breeders had tortoises and they all were pyramided hatchlings. I only got Hoppy cuz I didn't think he was pyramided...turns out he was showing early signs and my untrained eye wasn't able to pick up on it. First tortoise problems....

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Raleigh, NC
I think it depends on your state and how many local(ish) breeders there are. I went to the “Repticon” show in Raleigh, NC, and there were only two vendors selling tortoises or turtles. With those two, there was still a very very small selection. The show was 95% snakes and lizards. One of the out of state vendors told me that only NC vendors could legally sell tortoises at the show. I didn’t verify this info, but it could help explain why there were so few shelled babies at the event.

@Sticky Feets mentioned there are great shows in Orlando, and I bet there are great events all over FL! I’m a redfoot lover, and there are so many RFs in FL! I see that you’re in AZ. My impression is that there are a fair number of breeders in AZ (especially sulcata breeders!), so maybe AZ shows would have more torts than average.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think it depends on your state and how many local(ish) breeders there are. I went to the “Repticon” show in Raleigh, NC, and there were only two vendors selling tortoises or turtles. With those two, there was still a very very small selection. The show was 95% snakes and lizards. One of the out of state vendors told me that only NC vendors could legally sell tortoises at the show. I didn’t verify this info, but it could help explain why there were so few shelled babies at the event.

@Sticky Feets mentioned there are great shows in Orlando, and I bet there are great events all over FL! I’m a redfoot lover, and there are so many RFs in FL! I see that you’re in AZ. My impression is that there are a fair number of breeders in AZ (especially sulcata breeders!), so maybe AZ shows would have more torts than average.

Yes , we do have a lot of Torts for sale at the Tucson Reptile Expo . I don't bother with Repticon , it is like a traveling show . I found our local show to be a lot better , as far as selection and price were concerned .

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Any good shows/expos coming to Southern California this spring? My wife and I enjoyed networking at the Inland Empire show in Redlands last year, but are looking for another exposition this year. We'd love to meet some of our forum members as well. Let me know. . . as always, Orvil

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I’ve never been to one myself, am actually going to my first in a couple weeks, nothing major and I don’t plan on buying anything except for maybe some supplies but I’m looking forward to it.