Reptile Expo High Desert Tortoises?

RobP67

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey everyone, Hope all is well and keeping warm during this winter. I've seen advertisements of the Victorville expo coming up and i wasn't able to go to the super show in pomona last month. I know and heard of horror stories about expos and shows and definitely know what to look out for. But while watching videos on past shows posted months ago on youtube, it looks like there are not many tortoise vendors at this expo. Can anyone confirm that? In most of the reptilian expo videos (especially previous high desert ones), there are mostly snakes; Which is cool and all as snakes seem to be the popular and profitable critter. I just don't want to get my hopes high in finding what I'm looking for there only to see maybe few tortoise vendors. I could definitely still go to pick up supplies but mainly looking for some tortoises. Thanks in advance, would love to hear opinions and experiences.

Chasen

Galveston
In my experience, the Pomona expo is the one to go to if you can get there. I've been to other shows that all pale in comparison. There will be an overwhelming amount of vendors with ball pythons and beardies, but I have seen plenty of turtle and tort representation at Pomona. I am now far more educated on proper baby starting, so I would look for that with any vendors selling hatchlings. Actually, now knowing what I know, I wouldn't obtain a hatchling from anyone other than a trusted breeder on this forum. That being said, I think you might find a responsible breeder selling at an expo.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't buy from any expo or any source without knowing the history of the baby and how it was raised. Very few breeders and sellers start tortoises correctly and dead babies are the frequent result, even when the new keeper does everything correctly. You can't undo that early damage, if it happens. I would only buy at an expo if I knew the breeder and their reputation ahead of time, and if they answered my questions correctly. Here is some reading material to explain what questions to ask: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Questions and conversation are welcome.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Reptile expo in San Diego is great . A lot reputable local Breeders and venders . Personally I think Pomona expo has less turtle/tortoise venders than San Diego expo . Also in Pomona the parking cost jumps every year , $12 this year (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`)