Reptical question....

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Hello,
Having gotten Sheldon on November 15th, he was just under 2oz. Back then I was just a paranoid tort parent making sure he ate, drank & went potty. Every morning his little red head popped out of the substrate, I was a happy camper. I've never had a tort this tiny. So back then I put Reptical on his food just once & put too much.
Honestly it looked like powered sugar on his food ! He didnt like it and wasnt eating as vigorously, so I backed off the reptical. Meanwhile he had his cuttle bone and some afternoons in the Florida sun.
We are back to a good routine. Sheldon now weighs 2.4 ozs & he is doing very
well. The reptile store said he should have the reptical 3x a week. Is that too much for him ? I gave him some Monday on his Mazuri, I just used my finger & dabbed it on the places he would
most likey bite from. He ate it without rejection, so that was good. I'm sure I over did it before. I know he needs the D3 just is 3x a week too much ? And when its summer, and he goes outside in the afternoons, then reduce it since he will be getting sunshine ?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I use a pinch of calcium supplement 2X/ week. Once with D3 and once without D3. In the summer I use calcium without D3, still twice a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine have cuttle bone and if I remember, I give them calcium with D3 they get a good varied diet of many things. I don't feel they need as much as most people use. Don't forget, too much can be bad too. I would give, if you want, a tiny pinch twice a week.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Try to find some REPASHY. It is darker colored and my Red Foot tortoises eat it without any fuss. It must taste better. My RF almost never touch a cuddlebone either. Hopefully with the generous amount of sunshine we here in Florida can give our torts, supplements aren't such a needed thing. If you have MAZURI, smash your Reptical up in it. They'll eat it. Honestly, I threw away my Reptical.
It was like trying to give a child his medicine.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
2-3xs a week is what is recommend. A tiny pinch is all you need so yea you way overdid it if you made it look like the powdered donuts I just ate for breakfast.