Remodeled tortoise table

Daveypryme

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
After a lot of research and questions asked on the forum I have remodeled my tortoise table. When I first got him I was told from the pet store to keep him dry since he is an African species. He was in a tortoise table with very dry and dusty mulch with no top. This was the table that came with him, I kept it the same for a while until finding the forum.
I have since added a top and changed the dry mulch to co co coir. And sphagnum moss. The humidity has went from 25% to 72%
He seems to be so much happier.

The hot side is 90 degrees and the cool side is 80-85. I have one question the co co coir seems a little cool to the touch is this ok if the temps are up? Should the co co coir be warm?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453604244.715646.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453604261.309123.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453604274.309772.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Very pretty enclosure. You need temp readings at ground level. So depending on where your thermometer is, it might be too cold.

Daveypryme

Indiana
Very pretty enclosure. You need temp readings at ground level. So depending on where your thermometer is, it might be too cold.

Thank you.
I moved both thermometers to ground level. They are reading a few degrees lower but still at a good heat range.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My hatchling enclosure is of course a closed chamber. Temps range 80 go 100, above 80 humidity and the coir feels cool to me in some spots.