Relocating

Comalza

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi everyone! I am looking to relocate to USA and want to take my tortoise with me. Has anyone got any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice would be great! I have no idea where to start or who to contact and what paperwork I would need to begin th process.

Thank you :)

Becca267

5 Year Member
North Texas
Sorry, I have know nothing about moving internationally with reptiles, but you may want to post this in one of the more general forms. The marginated board doesn't get a lot of traffic as compared.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone! I am looking to relocate to USA and want to take my tortoise with me. Has anyone got any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice would be great! I have no idea where to start or who to contact and what paperwork I would need to begin th process.

Thank you :)
It is not an easy process. Lots of paper work and hoops to jumpy through. It boils down to the whims of the enforcement agents you deal with.

I would contact a broker that moves pets internationally. They will know how to go about it and make it happen. It will not be cheap or easy, and there is risk that the tortoise won't be allowed and will be stuck in transit somewhere. The safest and cheapest bet is to find a good home in the UK for your tortoise and then buy a new one here. Sad that our governments have forced such an awful decision, but that is the current state of things.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I was moving to the US from Poland (many yrs ago) and had a 7yr old cocker spaniel whom I had since she was just 6 wks old. There was no way I was going to move without here. I had talked to the US Embassy in Warsaw about that (they really didn’t care and said there would probably be quarantene after crossing the US border in NY. US ambassador warned me to have veterinary health record with shots and affidavit saying that she is in good health, all that translated and notarized. I called the airlines I was going to fly and asked them as well, they back then just needed the carrier and the special cargo ticket which was then like a ⅓ of a human ticket. Back then I didn’t know better, but I think they had her in cargo.... anyway, she did ok, picked her up in NY (JFK i think it was) and no quarantene, they just looked at all the papers and let us go. Now, this was waaaaay pre- 9/11, things are probably different now, plus reptiles maybe different. I wish you the best of luck. Just be persistent, and keep asking, and knocking on doors and/or windows if needed. I believe that ANYTHING is possible, we just often don’t know other way of getting there than the „box” we are used to functioning within

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
They stopped importing tortoises for sale because of ticks or something....I wonder how that transfers to pets. Let us know how it goes.