Rehydrating tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Can a tortoise really absorb water through its skin and is this the main reason why people soak their torts? Can water be absorbed through the shell also?

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Oregon
HarleyK said:
Can a tortoise really absorb water through its skin and is this the main reason why people soak their torts? Can water be absorbed through the shell also?

We soak or tortoises so they have a place to drink, not so they absorb water through the skin. I don't think tortoises can absorb water through the skin, hopefully someone with more knowledge will come on and tell us.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was told they can asorb some thru their cloaca but I can not say for sure 100%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've heard it both ways on this topic. Some sources say the the skin does become "semi-permeable" and can absorb some water. They can absorb some through the cloaca and as dolphanjack pointed out its a good way to get them to drink. Most of mine won't drink if they are out in a pen with a water source. They just walk right by it or through it, but pay it no mind.

Also, some people believe the getting the shell wet at least a couple of times a day will help to prevent pyramiding. Some big names are currently experimenting with this right now and the preliminary results look very promising.

sdirks

5 Year Member
Indiana
So why does everybody say to spray them with water daily? If soaking them is just to get them to drink water, what does the spraying do? I'm confused!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
spraying is to help reduce/eliminate pyramiding.

-JM

5 Year Member
I don't think they can absorb through their skin; if they can, it's not very much. As land animals it's not entirely efficient to be able to gain/lose moisture that way--they would get very dehydrated very fast. Amphibians are dependent on water sources for just this reason. Reptiles have a thicker skin that holds moisture in (at the same time keeping them from absorbing it in any significant quantity).

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am unaware of any actual research behind any of this, but...

Soaking MAY allow some cloacal absorption and POSSIBLY some through the softer tissues in the 'armpits'- but probably not a lot of it. Human skin is much more porous and absorbent and we don't really soak any up when soaking in a pool. Have you ever had a doctor tell you that you can get some of your '8 glasses a day' by sitting in a tub?

Soaking may encourage drinking, etc. I prefer to enable 'self soaking' with a good dish sunk to the rim.

We don't KNOW what misting the shell does. Lubricate the scutes? Make a pocket of humidity to breath or absorb? Trigger some sort of internal moisture management system? It does work- at least for people in some climates. It would be interesting to see it tried in a more northerly state with drier climate with a control group and everything.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
On hot days spraying can help cool the tort also spray the enclosure for the same reason. I don't know how much they actually absorb but I can see a difference as of activity with Tank after he soaks so I will continue, it can't hurt.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Has any body weighed there tort before and after a good soak? I think they feel heavier after, but that is just my uncalibrated hand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
motero said:
Has any body weighed there tort before and after a good soak? I think they feel heavier after, but that is just my uncalibrated hand.

This was going to be the subject of my post too. Take a young tortoise that feels light and weigh him. Put him in the water to soak, water up to the bridge (the part of the shell where top meets bottom) and sit there and watch him. If he drinks, then our experiment is null and void, but if he doesn't drink after about 15 minutes, then get him out, dry him off and weigh him again. I'm willing to bet he weighs more.

They absorb water through the thin skin on the throat and around the cloaca (not through the cloaca). That's why soaking in bird vitamins or Gerber baby food is able to get vitamins into a young tortoise.

sdirks

5 Year Member
Indiana
dmmj said:
spraying is to help reduce/eliminate pyramiding.

Does this mean we only need to spray their shells? Max hates it when I spray his skin, but his shell he could handle.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
well when I spray them they get their skin wet, so if you can avoid getting him wet except on the shell only I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.