Rehoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortnewby

5 Year Member
First time posting, just want to say thanks for all the great information ya'll provide on the site. I want to start out by saying I'm from the Dallas area and have some concerns about a sulcata I just got a week ago. He appears to be a 6-7 years old(sorry no pics yet). Anyway since his arrival he seems to be very standoffish with very little movement in his yard. Seemed to move a bit more the first couple of days but since then spends the majority of his time hiding in a corner or under a bush. Has eaten a little bit but nothing to brag about. Should I be concerned???? Please advise??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

Do you know how he was kept before coming to you? Indoors/outdoors? If your day and night temps are good and he has access to both sun and shade along with a large enough soaking/drinking dish...I would say give em some time to get use to his new yard....just give him a bit of routine and he should come around....:D

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) Sounds like he is just adjusting to his new house give him some time he will come around :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Just give him some time to adjust to the change...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. After some adjustment time if things haven't changed or seem to be getting worse let us know and we can suggest some things to do. Good luck, sure he'll be fine

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi tortnewby:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

When you say he appears to be around 6 or 7 years old, how big is that? A sulcata that big might be around half a basket ball size.

Tortoises are pretty territorial. They get stressed out when moved from one home to another. I would bring him out from under the bush every day and just sit on the grass with him. You might rub his shell and try to scratch his neck. Offer him treats of veggies or flowers. Once he realizes you aren't going to hurt him and he is safe in this new place he should start to come out and graze on his own.

What would you like us to call you?

tortnewby

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the valuable information, I really appreciate it. I will give it a try to see if he starts to come around.
Thanks, Jay

tortnewby

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Welcome! Where do you live? Photos of enclosure would be nice. What are your temps?

Thanks for the welcome. I live in Forney and will try to get some pictures of the tort and house.

tortnewby

5 Year Member
Thanks again to everyone for the advice - glad to know that this is the norm for the rehoming process. I currently live on one acre in Forney,Tx which is just outside of Dallas. As I said earlier this is my first tort and he is about 16in and 25pounds.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

I KNOW I have replied to this before but I guess I missed the last step... "Post Reply" :rolleyes: duh!

I too am from Dallas....Garland to be more precise.. and also have a Sulcata.:)

Sulcatas Rock!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.