Redfoots in AZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
So I am really liking this species, I already have 2 sullies that own the backyard. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with them living outdoors in AZ.

My idea is to make a enclosed pen around my citrus trees, citrus takes a lot of watering and I could hook up misters to run all day and heat it in the winter. Any thoughts?

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I keep a red foot indoors in Az. Depending on where in Az you are I think that the summer months may be to much for a RF.
highs of 115* and lows of 95* are just to hot imo.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I dont know how the people live out there in the summer, never mind a tortoise.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I went to AZ once and it was 106 degrees and I didn't feel the heat at all. Someone told me because it was so dry. 106 in NY would be a killer for me.
I think it would be too hot for a RF. When it hit 100 here last Summer, Pio was very stressed and I was told to take her inside right away.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
If you have a plan for the mid day July-August heat and the winter nights that get below 55* they will be fine. We keep a good size group housed outdoors. We installed misters on timers, keep half the pen shaded and have a wading pool. We also planted it VERY heavily to help with humidity and shade. They have a small shed to winter in. We went to a 30 gal water drum with a water heater before this winter and are very pleased with the warmth and humidity it's provided.
I hope this helps a bit....They definitely need a little more planning in PHX than Leos and Sullies do:)

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I kept redfoots and live in Arizona. I sold mine because I felt bad because of how dry and hot it is here. Mine did well, but I used a lot of water and it required a lot of time/effort to keep the humidity

Also, I feel bad using lots of water in the desert. Redfoots require more water than desert species and mediterranean species. But then again, I am one of those people who are against grass lawns and swimming pools (at least in every back yard) in Arizona.

I weighed my desire to keep redfoots against the well-being of the redfoots and resources required to keep them at an appropriate habitat.

Not saying it can't be done. You can keep almost anything outdoors as long as you provide the microhabitats for the animal. The Tucson Zoo keeps Polar Bears alive in Arizona. I am pretty sure it is expensive and time-consuming, and that the bears probably aren't comfortable with our summers.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
terryo said:
I went to AZ once and it was 106 degrees and I didn't feel the heat at all. Someone told me because it was so dry. 106 in NY would be a killer for me.
I think it would be too hot for a RF. When it hit 100 here last Summer, Pio was very stressed and I was told to take her inside right away.

I think where I live in N. Texas is the hottest place on Earth! 110+ temps in the summer with high humidity makes it so hard to even step out the door. I like it though. :)

-Matt

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
matt41gb said:
terryo said:

I think where I live in N. Texas is the hottest place on Earth! 110+ temps in the summer with high humidity makes it so hard to even step out the door. I like it though. :)

-Matt

Seriously? Woah baby! I hate heat and humidity so I think I would die there :p I love the winter! Except now that I have Rambo I want it to be spring so I can get him some weeds!

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
I have two redfoots but I keep them inside. I think the heat during the summer would be way too much for them seeing that it's way too much for me and my other animals. But I live in Tucson and the low humidity and the high heat about kill me when I'm used to Tennessee since that's where I was born and raised til about 4 years ago when I moved out here. So I'm constructing a very large enclosure to put in our snake room to house them when they are grown. Right now they are in a large 40 breeder tank that I had for some boas before they out grew it. And since I downsized my snake collection to: 2 boas, 3 corns, and a hognose I have a lot of floor space left over for a large pen for the redfoots, plus I have that room with humidifiers for the boas so it should be great for the redfoots. I would love to have an outside enclosure for them but I don't think it would be a great idea with trying to keep the humidity right and trying to keep them from overheating not to mention keeping them from being stolen from me by the neighbor kids. My friend just had 5 leopards and 4 sulcatas stolen from his back yard and he has a 6 foot privacy fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.