Redfoots eating dead grass|leaves is it okay

Octavious22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I just moved to a new house with a bigger backyard with lots of shade and sunlight. It filters through the canapony of the trees almost all day. There are patches of sunlight in the entire enclosure. I didn't add a substrate, no cypress much or sphagnum moss. I just put the tortoise pen in a grassy area with some tall and some short grass. Some grass is dry and the tortoise seem to like it a lot. The shade they get is from a mimosa silk tree. Some pink silk flowers were falling and they were eating them. This is also the first time I see them enjoy eat dead leaves and brown grass and I added some grape leaves and they enjoyed them as well. I don't think the.torts had a problem readjusting to their new home I saw some nice activity from all the tortoises they were all very active, I think the lighting, the shade and the temps had something to do with it. It was wild behavior I think but should I trip about the torts eating dead grass and leaves? This is a first for me. Let me know if you know anything about this thanks!

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
I just want to make sure that they are not eating something that they're not supposed to.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Did the last home owners have a cat or a dog ?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
N2TORTS I was told that they had a cat that ran away about 5 months ago
The reason I asked ....Redfoots are famous for eating other animals excrement. If you see them grazing on a "dead" area ....it could be from a prior animal at the house, in which waste that was picked up, still have scents and "little" left overs is what their after. I don't think much credit is giving in the animal world to tortoises but they have an incredible keen sense of smell

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Mine ate two logs of cat poop before. I didn't even know it was there until he sniffed it out. Should've known he'd be so good at finding buried treasure. I placed him on the other side of the yard thinking he wouldn't get to it fast enough and I'd be able to grab a plastic bag to pick it up but nope, he zipped over and ate two whole logs of it. Nothing bad happened other than the sheer mortification I experienced.

I think the only risk is if the animal that dropped the doubloons had been given Ivermectin as a dewormer. IIRC that's more of a dog thing.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My Redfoots are terrible poop eaters, sometimes they accidentally eat the grass around it as well.

I don't worry about them eating dry grass or leaves as long as they are safe to eat and they have access to fresh clean water.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some of my Redfoot prefer to eat yesterdays leftover food, nearly spoiled fruit and crusty, day old Mazuri.
And ALL of them love dog and cat poop.They got a nasty batch of round worms from them eating feral cat poop.
They also made a meal out of a dead rat...And ate half of the wooden trap!
If it's nasty, it's on the menu!
I find nothing that they eat to be unusual anymore.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I caught my smallest eating a dead snake. It really makes me wonder why I bother buying them expensive exotic fruits. I make salads fit for a king and they get trampled on their way to the nearest rotting corpse.