Redfoot's arms and neck look puffy.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
The puffiness is affecting his back legs, I just found out. He's not having problems walking. He can fit inside his shell. He's eating strawberries right now.
See what you vet says tomorrow. Let us know what's said. Are you bathing him. Has he pooped.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
See what you vet says tomorrow. Let us know what's said. Are you bathing him. Has he pooped.
Yes, I soaked him for a moment but decided to feed him first before I soak him more. He hasn't pooped. He's definitely straining though, he puffed up so big while pushing, scared me half to death.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Yes, I soaked him for a moment but decided to feed him first before I soak him more. He hasn't pooped. He's definitely straining though, he puffed up so big while pushing, scared me half to death.

If it looks like something is stuck in his tail, try putting a little mineral oil in his vent to help lubricate whatever it is to get it out.

What kind of substrate do you use in his enclosure?

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
If it looks like something is stuck in his tail, try putting a little mineral oil in his vent to help lubricate whatever it is to get it out.

What kind of substrate do you use in his enclosure?
100% coco coir, I don't have any mineral oil on me...is there anything else I can use?

He's soaking now and he's farting a LOT. That's good...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's what happened to mine. I kept feeding foods that loosen them up. And warm baths. Her poop was very hard, at one bit a long twig came out with thorns on it. About 2 to 3" long. I'm not saying yours is not an infection but it sounds like some sort of blockage. It will be interesting to see what your vet says. Keep the baths warm. Does he struggle to get out of the bath? If he's sloshing about in the bath trying to escape its a good thing, its making him exercise and adding to getting things moving.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
when you go to the vet no vitamin shots please they use too much in the shot & it's often toxic

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I put some olive oil there. The soak didn't help him pass anything so I'm giving him a break for now. Hopefully the strawberries and yesterday's papaya help him out.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Here's a pic of the puffiness gone almost all the way down. Then it shot right back out. I'm sure he's retaining water because the soft tissue on his back legs is puffy too, but it's confusing to see him "suck it in" like that.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449421862.438548.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449421862.438548.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 26

Kori5

It doesn't look that bad. Maybe he has a very large poop stuck there, maybe he ate some coir. Put him in a large tube with shallow water so he can walk. Maybe it will move things. But what helped me the most is a 20 minute car ride to the vet :). He started pooping really big.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to have just heard your tort seems sick.:( How about a visit to the vet asap? And wishes for your tort to get well soon!;)

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Sorry to have just heard your tort seems sick.:( How about a visit to the vet asap? And wishes for your tort to get well soon!;)
Vet appt is at 12 tomorrow! Really looking forward to it to put my mind at ease. He's eating and moving about so I've calmed down a bit...still probably way too worried to be healthy for myself lol...but I'm optimistic! Thanks for the well wishes :)

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Puffiness looks worse now.

I'm really worried.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449425387.227129.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449425387.227129.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 32

Kori5

Could it be an alergic reaction to some kind of fruit? It is weird it comes and goes.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Could it be an alergic reaction to some kind of fruit? It is weird it comes and goes.
It will come and go if he's straining trying to push some sort of blockage. Its the nature of pushing, I'm guessing if trying to pass kidney stones this will happen. But I don't know if when they do get a kidney infection whether it permanently puffs up or not.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm still not seeing anything unusual. Edema isn't transient like what you are describing. Tortoises puff out certain parts are they breath and move - you may just be seeing totally normal pudge, for lack of a better word.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I'm still not seeing anything unusual. Edema isn't transient like what you are describing. Tortoises puff out certain parts are they breath and move - you may just be seeing totally normal pudge, for lack of a better word.
It's hard for me to capture it in photographs. His soft tissue is usually concave there, this more or less happened overnight. Here's how it looks from below. I also just noticed a little red spot on his soft tissue...I'm hoping it's a little abrasion from him trying to escape the soak tub.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449427618.888096.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449427618.888096.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 20