Redfoot

Redfoot954

Location (City and/or State)
Tamarac
Does anyone know if its safe to a have a single pair of redfoot tortoise male/female ? I currently have an adult female and im looking to aquire a male really soon.. Just wanted some feedback thanks:tort::tort:!

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
It’s not recommended to have a pair. It causes territorial issues and competition if they are housed together. they will potentially hurt each other or one will drive the other away from the food. Also with 1 male and one female it’s said that the male will continually haras the female to the point she just hides in a corner and eventually dies. Some people on here say it can work with one male and 2 or more females. But I suppose every case is different and your gonna need a ton of space to keep that many torts. And then your also gonna have lots of eggs... ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does anyone know if its safe to a have a single pair of redfoot tortoise male/female ? I currently have an adult female and im looking to aquire a male really soon.. Just wanted some feedback thanks:tort::tort:!
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Sexes don't matter. No pairs. Groups can sometimes work, but like the previous poster said, you'll need huge enclosures, and several back up plans in case the tortoises decide it isn't going to work the way you want it to.

If you want another tortoise (Who doesn't???), just set up another indoor and outdoor enclosure and house them completely separately.

Redfoot954

Tamarac
Yeah that makes sense ..looks like i might have to get a couple more redfoot Ill do a little more research and hopefully get more feedback I want to do this the right way and i dont want my torts under stress @Tortisedonk7