Whistling Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricBlues

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Always lurked these places for info but now I need to post for the first time as I've got a concern..

I have an 8" redfoot (got him at about a month old) living in about a 5 or 6'X3' enclosure. Recently, I've noticed more than usual breathing noises... much like a whistling sound. He used to only do it when very active, like climbing or sniffing out food, but I got concerned when I started hearing it more often recently, even when resting. Even though I find him on the cool end, he seems to be under the heat lamp a lot (I have a 150watt ceramic emitter) so I purchased a more expensive thermometer and hygrometer to make sure everything was reading ok. Under the bulb wouldn't get higher than 85, so after searching with no luck for a 200watt I called some reptile places and one suggested to add another 150watt because of the size of the enclosure. This has put the temps up to 90 under the bulb during the day, and about 85 at night. The rest of the enclosure is reading upwards of 70.

Humidity with the old hygrometer would read 70-80%, the new one says 90-100%. So I was concerned maybe his humidity was too high as well.

He is quite active and eating as always. There is no runnyness from the nose. His eyes can look "wet", but not running.

I would love some advice on the breathing noises. If this sounds serious I will of course take him to the vet.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Wheezing sound or too husky for the confidence course?

Time for the Vet to see him. He'll probably get a booster shot in the arss at the Vet's. Ouch. You'll probably get a set of micro-pipets to medicate him for 10 days.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
How much air flow does your guy get? My girl used to have a whistle-wheeze, but ever since I built her new enclosure it went away. And her new enclosure keeps humidity better... But it could be a cold, allergies, from being to dry or wet, etc... If you are really concerened you should always go to a vet just to be safe.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
these folks told me my RF's red eyes were from too low humidity, and when I raised the hum. the eyes got no wetness

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It does not sound like the whistling is due to dryness, and too-high humidity by itself is not usually a problem for this species.

I am wondering about the temperature distribution in the habitat- about how large is the 90 degree spot, the 85 degree area, and the 70 area? It might be that you need to heat more of the habitat. Heat bulbs from a hardware store are cheap and cover a larger area (and would only be used during the day). Depending on the habitat size you may need a few of them.

My concern is that a large area of cool humidity may be a contributing factor.

As to the whistling, Mader's "Reptile Medicine and Surgery" suggests that it COULD be a lower respiratory tract infection- most commonly bacterial or fungal. I have no idea personally, just throwing this out for consideration. Apparently, lower resp. tract infections are less likely to produce the signs we usually look for at the nose, etc.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
My largest tort Penny whistles whenever she soaks in the pool. She tends to get water in her nose, and for some reason it makes her whistle until it... well, dries up or she blasts it out in a fit of excitement over seeing food or some such thing.
Best to cover all options and get knowledgeable, experienced advice from a licensed professional (one of those 'have it and not need it' situations with any luck). But don't lose hope and think the worst. In the end, it could be an errant hunk of food, or a perfectly angled piece of coir causing the whistle. Or even trying to drink through the nose, for whatever reason.

I can agree with the 85F throughout theory, as that's the extent of my repairall solutions.

Tonnes of good advice here though, and these are hardy critters, I wish your little scamp the best of luck.

ElectricBlues

5 Year Member
Sorry it's taken a while to get back on this! I really appreciate everyone's help.

I agree, that it was probably due to cooler humidity inside the enclosure.

Warm side is 90, cool end is often at 80 (large area, probably 50/50 warm/cool). Luckily since adding the additional bulb the whistling has much improved! I still notice it - not as loud - when he is sniffing around for food etc, but it's nowhere near what it was. I will still take him in to the vet, however it's wintery cold in canada right now and I am nervous of that, too! If anyone knows of any 'tricks' to keep these guys warm in transit/outside I would like to hear. I usually warm rice in a sock or nylon, but that's for small reps like geckos, snakes.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I use a warm rice sock for torts as well as lizards. I put it under them then wrap them in a thick warmed towel and lay it in a tote. My vet has a microwave that I use to rewarm the towel before coming home.
Good luck
Patsy

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Also, those reusable snap warmers you can get that use the saline solution thing. I used to have a bottle warmer variety that came in handy for long treks with the torts here in frosty Alberta.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
ElectricBlues said:
Sorry it's taken a while to get back on this! I really appreciate everyone's help.

I agree, that it was probably due to cooler humidity inside the enclosure.

Warm side is 90, cool end is often at 80 (large area, probably 50/50 warm/cool). Luckily since adding the additional bulb the whistling has much improved! I still notice it - not as loud - when he is sniffing around for food etc, but it's nowhere near what it was. I will still take him in to the vet, however it's wintery cold in canada right now and I am nervous of that, too! If anyone knows of any 'tricks' to keep these guys warm in transit/outside I would like to hear. I usually warm rice in a sock or nylon, but that's for small reps like geckos, snakes.

Don't know where you got the idea redfoots need a hot AND cool side? I have always maintained a low to mid 80's temps thru-out.. and that's ambient temps in a small building 24/7

NERD

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have heard it more than a few times over the years, if the animal is otherwise outwardly healthy I would not worry about it. I have seen excited baby Redfoots make noise that had nothing to do with a health related issue. If your animal is behaving normally , do not worry. My adult Redfoots are outside right now as I publish this and the temp is 54 F outside; in their night houses granted, with hay but no supplemental heat. If the wistle changes the way that it usually behaves, then I would worry a-lot. Seek help then, but only then. Best wishes to you and your Redfoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.