Redfoot tortoise plastron problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
so i bought my redfoot tortoise from petco last week.and i look under its plastron shell and it was looking funky i waived it by my head. then i look again after another day or two later goes by and i relook at it again after thinking about it and it looks horrible with brown stuff and some white stuff on it. but its really dry. i have a video of it right here of what it looks like.

Coco plastron

not the best camera but its better than nuthing. i had a thread yesterdya but it had no pic or vid!

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Is the area wet and icky? Or is it all dried up?

it is all dried up, somone mention in yesterdays thread when i didnt have pics htat it could be a case of dry shell rot.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
If the areas are not deep and do not smell...then I would just wash it off with diluted Betadine solution and scrubbing the area gently with a soft toothbrush. If the areas are deep then I would consider taking it to a vet.

If it is dry, I would think that it is more fungal than bacterial. But someone else with more experience with this can probably help you better. Good luck...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
When mine first came they had terrible shell rot. I tried the betadine/Nolvason method but it didn't work, so I switched to the fungus cream. That worked like a charm and I haven't had a problem since. :)

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
When mine first came they had terrible shell rot. I tried the betadine/Nolvason method but it didn't work, so I switched to the fungus cream. That worked like a charm and I haven't had a problem since. :)

i will let the vet do it first because i dont have the stuff for it and i have not ready any medical tips for this yet so next time it happen i will know what to do.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
In cases like this definitely have a bet look at it first. Because as stated could be bacterial or it could be fungal. Usually betadine an chlorohexidine works very well in beginning cases of shell rot. But can still overtake if progressed. Which is why sometimes it doesn't work. In the event of whatever it may be. I always suggest to tort owners that have humid required tortoise species to try and elevate the humidity without having a very wet substrate. And once a month give your tort a sterile scrub with betadine or chlorohexidine and rinse. Especially in Burmese stars and yellowfoots.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It's Shell Fungus that can be treated with generic Clotrimazole foot cream........Shell Rot is completely different........

Status
Not open for further replies.