Redfoot tortoise feeding ammounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Please tell me how often I should feed my 5year old redfoot tortoise he is about 6inches and i curretly feed him dandelions and flowers in the morning and salad and whatever treats he usualy has at Night is this too much if not should they be small portions..please...thanks...many regards! RolleyesShy

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is not a perfect answer to this question- the answer varies by types of food, season/climate, age, and more. Tortoises in the wild mostly live on a fairly small amount of foods that are high in fiber and low in calories- almost the exact opposite of what we usually offer.

What I try to do is to offer a lot of the low-calorie/high-fiber foods. Figure a bowl about the size of the tort's shell LOOSELY filled with leaves, flowers, mushrooms, greens, low-calorie veggies, etc. Feed this most days of the week (It is OK to skip 1 to 3 days a week).

Then, imagine another bowl, about the size of it's head, and offer it 1 or 2 times a week. Fill it with mostly with fruits, but also some proteins, especially bugs and worms.

You can do two feedings a day, but it is easier to overfeed that way. At 6", he only needs about 45 calories a day.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
My amounts vary,depending on what I'm feeding. I usually feed what they can clean up in about 15 minutes,once a day.With the adult,I skip a day occasionally.With the hatchlings,I feed every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.