Redfoot n00b

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootN00b

5 Year Member
hello to all, my name is david and on christmas 09 my wife naty surprised me with a redfoot tort. i have never owned a turtle before let alone a tortoise. i started reading up online and came across this forum where i've gathered tons of information. i have since put my tort in a large but short plastic container where i divided it into certain areas including a small pool of sort for her to dip in. im using cypress mulch as bedding and clay pots as "hides". i've been feeding her romaine lettuce and "Critter Culture: Land turtle and Tortoise food" (formulated diet ensures superior nutrition) i have UVA & UVB lights, thermometers in the mulch, outside the mulch, in the water and in the room where she's at to closely watch and simulate her natural habitat.
my redfoot is 3.5 inches.. im unsure of her age and would like some help figuring that out. i dont think she's that many moneths old.
the first time we saw her having a bowel movement we thought she was wagging her tail.. my wife and i are n00bs or newbies to this. suggestions and critique are welcomed.
we will be visiting the forum regulary and hope to make friends.
pics of Sheila and her enclosure will soon follow. thx.

-Dave and Naty

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dave & Naty:

513727mzfgbailft.gif

to the forum!!

Sounds like you are on the right track with Sheila. Everything you've said about her care seems pretty good to me except for the diet. Try to find more of a variety of greens to feed her. And she can have a day of fruit per week too. They also like to have an occasional worm or pinky mouse, etc. And a humid environment. Take a look at some of Terryo's enclosures:
It's post #7 in this thread:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11255-post-97686.html#pid97686

RedfootN00b

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Dave & Naty:

513727mzfgbailft.gif

to the forum!!

Sounds like you are on the right track with Sheila. Everything you've said about her care seems pretty good to me except for the diet. Try to find more of a variety of greens to feed her. And she can have a day of fruit per week too. They also like to have an occasional worm or pinky mouse, etc. And a humid environment. Take a look at some of Terryo's enclosures:
It's post #7 in this thread:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11255-post-97686.html#pid97686

thx.. what a badass enclosure lol

RedfootN00b

5 Year Member
im getting the humidity gauge tomorrow and check out the humidity.. if the humidity isnt at a good level ill get a fogger or something that'll check out.. any suggestions before i go get the gauge on what else i should get or stock up on?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum David and Naty :)

Danny

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk