Redfoot inactive

MikeyO7321

5 Year Member
My red foot only comes out of its hide to eat then straight back in. Also he doesn't really soak unless i put him in since I got the little guy in June from Tyler at tortoise supply

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size is he, size of enclosure, temps, humidity? How often are you soaking? Does he have water available 24/7 . What are you using to measure these temps and humidity? If it's one of those cheap disc things from pet stores, ditch it and get a digital one from Home Depot or a hardware store.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Little babies sleep a lot.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Re: RE: Redfoot inactive

AnnV said:
Little babies sleep a lot.

I agree with this. Mine are very active if I take them out to explore outside or run around my floor for a while, but like to sleep in their hide when in their enclosure.

abclements

5 Year Member
Young torts like to hide a lot. Its just that it's programmed to hide even if it's never had to deal with predators. Mine was a hider till pretty recently, and I've had him for over a year! Just give him time and hopefully he will be more outgoing soon.

Huntington Beach, California
Thank you so much for this site! My baby red foot tort sleeps 24/7 unless I get him up. The temps are perfect 80-90 depending on where in the tank. I was concerned because I'm a first time tort owner. Finally i got a straightforward answer! If i take him outside he runs around like the dickens! But the second he goes in his tank its nighty night time lol. I get him up 2x's a day, put him in his water and let him soak and he usually walks to his food and grabs a bite to eat and then burrows for his nap lol. So I'm glad that's normal! Thanks thanks thanks!