getting a redfoot to graze

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
So as I posted awhile ago I bought some tortoise supply testudo seed mix to plant in my outdoor enclosure which is growing amazingly

But my redfoot doesn't seem to graze on it much I can pull it and put it on the feeding dish in the indoor enclosure and hell eat it but when he's outside he walks around for a bit then goes in his underground hide which on our hottest day of 110 got to about 87

Any advice?

I'm currently without a computer sorry if it's a little sloppy

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So as I posted awhile ago I bought some tortoise supply testudo seed mix to plant in my outdoor enclosure which is growing amazingly

But my redfoot doesn't seem to graze on it much I can pull it and put it on the feeding dish in the indoor enclosure and hell eat it but when he's outside he walks around for a bit then goes in his underground hide which on our hottest day of 110 got to about 87

Any advice?

I'm currently without a computer sorry if it's a little sloppy
My reds won't graze either. They wander and explore every part of our garden. The only thing I've seen them eat as they wander, is dandilions and clover. What is your mix that is growing. Try scattering small bits of fruit amongst your growing mix. May intise them, then again they may just eat the fruit. Lol.
I believe reds are not grazers. Just have a bite at anything as they explore.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Maybe he's just so used to you and being fed and loving it that he doesn't feel the need too graze. Or maybe he's getting use to it, they are curious guys. Mine likes to sniff everything lol

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
In the wild red foots primary eat vegetables. But the vegetables they eat in the wild have lower nutritional value so they eat more of it over a longer period of time. So don't be to worried if your red is not grazing

Lexiii

CT
The only thing my rf is interested in eating outside is rocks and wood chips. I have to watch him like a hawk.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The only thing my rf is interested in eating outside is rocks and wood chips. I have to watch him like a hawk.
My adults do this. Does anyone know why. Birds eat grit for the digestive system. Is this a similar thing. ?

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
My guy is typically too excited to do much grazing when he's outside, despite all kinds of delicious weeds I've planted. He will take a few by hand and sometimes take a few bites as he's walking by, but he mostly trundles around with a sense of purpose.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
As far as I know, the footed species are more browsers than grazers anyway, so it probably isn't too unusual that he isn't grazing on the mix. My experience says they're more likely to grab leaves and blooms from shrubs than nibble grasses and weeds while walking outside.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I don't really know why some are reluctant to graze, unless they're not hungry, which is hard to believe.
My 7, ages 3-6 all graze on anything and everything I plant for them.

Maybe in time he will develop an interest.