Redfoot has an odd odor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedler06

5 Year Member
Hello, my almost 2 yr old male Redfoot presented with a strange acidic smell today. I do not know if it is him that is emenating the smell but I think he peed it outt as his bed smelt terrible and had a water-like substance in it which I washed out with soap and water. I scrubbed him with a soft-bristle brush and some non-hazardous soap but he still has a faint odor to him.

Is it something he ate by chance, too much of some vitamin or is it him? His encloser is kept at 78degrees temperate with his bed in the cooling area and I clean his water at least 3 times a day (he likes to poo in it so I have to check it constantly to be sure its clean). I just don't want him to be ill.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 22

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tedler06:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know appx. where in the world you are?

I don't know what to say about the odor, except their urine is pretty strong-smelling.

Tedler06

5 Year Member
Hello, and you may call me Tiffany. I live in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.

Tedler06

5 Year Member
Laura said:
did you change anything in the diet the past few weeks? getting enough water to drink?

I have been giving him some arugala (sp?) but not too much since he's really picky and can't have the same food more then twice a week or he won't eat it. I've switched him back to a spring mix though just in case 'cuz i suspected it might be the new type of lettuce. He smells ok now that he's been bathed and his cage and bed cleaned out.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Some foods cause a lot of odors, such as fish. I am glad it is gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.