Redfoot flipped himself over

crabby-J

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
My tort is about 6 months old and today I woke up and he was on his back (again) and this time he had pooped trying to flip back over, I seen him and flipped him back but read that tortoises can die if they are on their back to long :( now I'm freaked out because I don't know how long he was like that :( Will he be ok and how do I prevent this from happening?

crabby-J

Michigan
I changed out his water dish, he looked like he had climbed out and fell over, I did not have the lights on at the time no

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
If he was flipped on 'dry ground' and not overheated, he should be fine. Maintain the proper environment and consider using a terra cotta plant pot saucer as a water dish.

0000000094303.jpg

jeffb

5 Year Member
Perhaps a bigger enclosure may help, more space is less climbing, more happiness

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Watch him in action and you may have to remove and or modify anything that he wants to climb and could flip over on.
Ages ago I had one (A very small one) flip over and die within 1.5 hours on one of those little half log things. He flipped near a heat source.
The larger tortoises flip over less and are better skilled at correcting it. The fact that he pooed himself shows that he was in a great deal of distress.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Make sure the water dish is set into the substrate so he doesn't flip climbing in or out. Shallow terracotta plant saucer is best, as suggested previously with a lovely picture.