Redfoot enclosure. How many can I fit?

Rknowles92

Location (City and/or State)
tampa, florida
Here's my redfoot enclosure. Currently houses just one redfoot. It's roughly 22x16. How many can I fit here?

1642975871184.png
1642975893832.png
1642975946095.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@ZEROPILOT can help you.
Just keep in mind tortoises don't do good in pairs and you will want either all females or one Male to 2 or 3 or more females. However, even at the correct ratio, sometimes they still need to be separated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@ZEROPILOT can help you.
Just keep in mind tortoises don't do good in pairs and you will want either all females or one Male to 2 or 3 or more females. However, even at the correct ratio, sometimes they still need to be separated.
What she said.
You can put a few females in there. Or one male and at least 3 females. Or 3 or 4 sub adult individuals that are not sexually mature.
However, it's never 100% for sure that every tortoise will play nice. So you may have to swap out one or two as time goes by.
For the happiest life for you and your Redfoot, I suggest just getting one.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Here's my redfoot enclosure. Currently houses just one redfoot. It's roughly 22x16. How many can I fit here?

View attachment 339412
View attachment 339413
View attachment 339414
What everyone else says. As the keeper of RF Houdini, thanks to Maggie3fan, I can honestly opine that unless you're getting a hatchling, you need taller walls or a lip facing inwards from the top of the wall because Houdini can & does climb as well as any Russian. And the foliage is great but you're going to lose your mind looking for your missing RF, unless you're young, see well in dark spaces & can get up easily from your hands & knees without a fork lift. Can't wait to see your RF. Here's Houdini.

Attachments

• 20211013_115052.jpg
    20211013_115052.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12

Rknowles92

tampa, florida
What everyone else says. As the keeper of RF Houdini, thanks to Maggie3fan, I can honestly opine that unless you're getting a hatchling, you need taller walls or a lip facing inwards from the top of the wall because Houdini can & does climb as well as any Russian. And the foliage is great but you're going to lose your mind looking for your missing RF, unless you're young, see well in dark spaces & can get up easily from your hands & knees without a fork lift. Can't wait to see your RF. Here's Houdini.
I do have lips on top of the walls to prevent climbing and have yet to see him attempt to climb! It's definitely a hassle to find him sometimes haha. Here's a pic. 1643073683583.png

Rknowles92

tampa, florida
What she said.
You can put a few females in there. Or one male and at least 3 females. Or 3 or 4 sub adult individuals that are not sexually mature.
However, it's never 100% for sure that every tortoise will play nice. So you may have to swap out one or two as time goes by.
For the happiest life for you and your Redfoot, I suggest just getting one.
I currently have a male, so I was planning on getting 3 females.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh I just love that face.