Redfoot and yellowfoots together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboose

5 Year Member
Can a yellowfoot and a Redfoot live together in the same an enclosure and can they breed together.

My Sulcata Michelangelo[TURTLE]
and my RedFoot Raphael [TURTLE]

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Yes, they can to the first, if properly quarantined and everything looks good after evaluation, as they do meet in several parts of their natural range and without devastation. I have not yet seen a successful hybrid resulting from the second, however, and I am a little surprised by this due to how often people do indeed keep them together. The courtship behavior argument does not always hold up in practice, either. I have seen leopards mate and breed with redfoots in multiple instances and have had an ivory sulcata mate with a yellow foot at my home (and the yellow foot refused males of her own species; she also refused a male redfoot tortoise). People sometimes claim carbonaria x denticulata hybrids, but every case I have seen of this claim looks only like a case of either an oddly colored denticulata or a particularly non-red locale of carbonaria. Most (all) hybrid tortoises show more shared traits from both parents in my experience than that.

kadyskepr

5 Year Member
I personally wouldn't suggest housing a redfoot and yellowfoot tougher as yellowfoots can get larger, faster; this can lead to bullying and a struggle for food for the smaller one. I would personally just avoid the possible stress, but that's just a personal opinion. :p

Sent from my SCH-I405 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.