Red rash on Sulcata.. Help..

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Yes, I understand that people's opinions differe. But that wasn't exactly where I was going with my question...

My only concern is to care for my tortoise as best as I can. Which is also why I have reached out to other people who may have had better success with other methods/products regarding Sulcatas.
I know exactly what you mean. I have done one thing when receiving conflicting info: I apply what I think suits Oli best instead of siting down thinking endlessly, without getting anywhere.

ninja-tortise

5 Year Member
It is confusing and frustrating. I use coco coir, and coco husk for my Leopards. My outside enclosures for the most part are just native soil.[/QUOTE
I can't wait until they are big enough to be outside of the enclosure
It is confusing and frustrating. I use coco coir, and coco husk for my Leopards. My outside enclosures for the most part are just native soil.
thank you for your suggestion, when they are bigger we are going with an open area concept. But for now they tip the scale at a whopping 2lbs. each. They are still itty bitty :)

ninja-tortise

5 Year Member
I know exactly what you mean. I have done one thing when receiving conflicting info: I apply what I think suits Oli best instead of siting down thinking endlessly, without getting anywhere.
That's what we thought we were doing with the sand, but that obviously was the wrong route to go in this case. My poor guy :(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Yes, I understand that people's opinions differe. But that wasn't exactly where I was going with my question...

My only concern is to care for my tortoise as best as I can. Which is also why I have reached out to other people who may have had better success with other methods/products regarding Sulcatas.[/QUOTE

So sorry and hope to hear he's better SOON. please keep s updated and good luck.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This is my hatchling leopards outside enclosure.
I had to remove the native soil, because it was rocky. I used topsoil and coco Coir on top. This way I can plant whatever.1443120448285-301140070.jpg 1443120582426758535714.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
I'm in Sourh Florida also. My ground is sandy. When I put up my enclosures I got bags of organic top soil and a few bags of organic compost and raked it in there then planted the enclosures. Dug up pads of grass from my side lot too to get it green.
This is one my Leopard lives in about 2.8 lbs with a heated hide box
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443176849.804612.jpg

We are assuming the sand was causing the red spots. But I'd keep an eye on them since we can't be sure. But it likely was that

Keeping the ants out of my areas has been a task too , I don't feed any mazuri in the enclosure as it seems to draw them.
S Florida is great for temps , sun and plants but the bugs can be difficult.

Good fortune with yours

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm in Sourh Florida also. My ground is sandy. When I put up my enclosures I got bags of organic top soil and a few bags of organic compost and raked it in there then planted the enclosures. Dug up pads of grass from my side lot too to get it green.
This is one my Leopard lives in about 2.8 lbs with a heated hide box
View attachment 149926

We are assuming the sand was causing the red spots. But I'd keep an eye on them since we can't be sure. But it likely was that

Keeping the ants out of my areas has been a task too , I don't feed any mazuri in the enclosure as it seems to draw them.
S Florida is great for temps , sun and plants but the bugs can be difficult.

Good fortune with yours
wait a minute AlaskaMike lives in Florida? this world no longer makes any sense to me

Alaskamike

South Florida
@dmmj
Lol
Well .... 20 + , yes in Alaska ,got me the name. So many Mikes - my friends started calling me Alaskamike to differentiate. Kinda stuck.

Now I'm warm again - finally.
Sometimes even hot ! But I refuse to complain. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Hopefully, the rash is now receding. ?