Red, irritated eyes :( Sorry for the length!

Karita

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Hi! Two days ago, my ex-husband (the tortoise lives with him, as that's where the enclosure is set up) informed me that my tort, Bowser, had a serious problem with his eyes. When I arrived, he could barely see out of them, they were extremely red and irritated, and he was attempting to rub them.
I was concerned about an URI, but he does not seem to be having an nasal discharge, rattling or wheezing. Husband casually mentioned that he put (powder) chlorine in the pool filter and that Bowser was somewhat close to him when he did this (grumble grumble).
Assuming it is probably a chemical burn, I've been rinsing him down with water a few times a day and the eyes seem to have gotten slightly better. It appears to be an inflammation of his interior third eyelid, and he keeps scraping it with his front legs, making things worse. One eye is nearly back to normal, the other is still inflamed.
He is eating just fine, having bowel movements, is his normal ornery and active self, and is outside in the sun all day.
Our herp vet is in Chicago until Tues. I am debating whether this is the type of emergency to take him to a new vet. I'm still semi-worried about a resp infection. He has saliva bubbles coming from his mouth at times (but that would also be the case if those mucus membranes were irritated from the chlorine)
Also, has anyone had any experience trying to fashion some sort of "cone of shame" for a tortoise? He is not going to heal if he can still stick his spikey forearms in there.
I'd love some input or opinions on this!
Disclaimer: Tortoise is not an actual licensed medical professional, stethoscope is in 3rd picture just for size scale :)

Attachments

• Fotor_144431979445096.jpg
    Fotor_144431979445096.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Fotor_144431983035850.jpg
    Fotor_144431983035850.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Fotor_144431986932055.jpg
    Fotor_144431986932055.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Poor baby. I would continue rinsing, and probably take him to a vet to get some ointment for his eyes. Others might be able to tell you an over the counter.
I can't imagine any kind of come working.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Karita:

There are two eye soothing products that you can try:

upload_2015-10-8_10-14-38.jpeg

terr_eyeointment.jpg

The first one can be purchased at a pet store, but if your pet store doesn't carry it, you can buy it online. The second one contains an antibiotic and really should only be used if there's an infection. You can get this one through your vet or animal feed store.

Don't expect overnight success. It will take a week or two for the burn to heal.

Karita

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thank you! After two days of rinsing, ointment, and these fashionable forearm covers I made him wear, his eyes cleared up almost completely.
However, when I put him back in the yard his eyes were swollen again within 20 minutes. So my current hypothesis include: 1.something growing that he is allergic to, although I've had torts back there for 6 years without a problem. Took a walk around and didn't see any mushrooms or anything out of the ordinary.
2. Perhaps the lawn company put down something that I don't know about, it has been a while since we've had rain, so a chemical would stay longer than usual (for the record they are not supposed to put down any chemicals, but stranger things have happened) or
3.He ran into some fire ants (I'm in FL). My 8 year old showed me a colony in the driveway just yesterday, so there could be some in the yard as well. The mystery continues, for now I'm back to rinsing and ointment. :-/

Fotor_144433926776975.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lol! Poor embarrassed little guy!! But you must be given at least 100 points for inventiveness! Great idea.

I can't imagine what would be causing the eye problem outside. Have you told us how long he has lived in this yard?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you! After two days of rinsing, ointment, and these fashionable forearm covers I made him wear, his eyes cleared up almost completely.
However, when I put him back in the yard his eyes were swollen again within 20 minutes. So my current hypothesis include: 1.something growing that he is allergic to, although I've had torts back there for 6 years without a problem. Took a walk around and didn't see any mushrooms or anything out of the ordinary.
2. Perhaps the lawn company put down something that I don't know about, it has been a while since we've had rain, so a chemical would stay longer than usual (for the record they are not supposed to put down any chemicals, but stranger things have happened) or
3.He ran into some fire ants (I'm in FL). My 8 year old showed me a colony in the driveway just yesterday, so there could be some in the yard as well. The mystery continues, for now I'm back to rinsing and ointment. :-/

View attachment 151901

I hope no other torts see him...oh the indignity....Great invention...perhaps quiz the yard guys without letting them know you are quizzing them?

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Hello and wonderful day to you. I hear @Tom in the back of my head yelling, why you giving or taking him to grass you don't know about? Sorry for saying that. Wonderful looking girl good luck yea I would think something in grass